Should I go for a third round

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W222

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote a previous thread about being on a number of wait lists but having no acceptances after a second application cycle. I got eight interviews, one out right rejection with seven holds-wait lists. I have a 3.5gpa, 30O mcat, and good ECs. Planning on getting a masters in the next year and a half in physiology. Should I make it a third time, DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY GET IN ON THIRD AND FOURTH TRIES? I am going to apply to DO and MD next time around. I am being serious, do people get in on third and fourth applications.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure some people do. If you were on wait lists before it means your good enough to get in. I'm guesing you have been productive in the last year - good work experience, volunteering, research, etc that should spruce up your application. If I were you, I'd reapply to a large number of schools (possibly forgetting about most of the "elite" schools except the ones you would fall all over yourself attending), including DO schools. I'm talking around 20, just to be clear. Revise your essays, pracitce your interviewing, and apply early - like on the first day possible.

W222 said:
I wrote a previous thread about being on a number of wait lists but having no acceptances after a second application cycle. I got eight interviews, one out right rejection with seven holds-wait lists. I have a 3.5gpa, 30O mcat, and good ECs. Planning on getting a masters in the next year and a half in physiology. Should I make it a third time, DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY GET IN ON THIRD AND FOURTH TRIES? I am going to apply to DO and MD next time around. I am being serious, do people get in on third and fourth applications.

Yes they do. I would definitely inquire as to perceived problems with your application to make certain you address them the next time around. Call the adcoms where you were waitlisted. They might have suggestions.

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
thats weird, have you asked for feedback? you shouldve gotten in, but then again this process is so friggin random. how are your interview skills? have you gotten a lot of post interview rejections?

You should absolutely call the schools and ask for feeedback on what it is about your application that is not up to their standards. You need to find out what it is exactly that is holding you back before you start working on an area that isn't the issue. I don't believe it is your GPA or your MCAT. They both are more than enough to get you in.

Here are some things you should think about .....
1. Where are you applying?
2. Is it to top schools where you need a 3.9 and a 38 MCAT?
3. Are you applying to schools that don't take out-of-staters or ones that take only a handful of out of staters?
4. How are your EC's, how about your LORs?
5. How are you during your interviews?
6. And what is your personal statement like? Is it the best it can be?

These are things you need to check out before applying again and before you do something that you may not need to do. People do apply more than 2 times, but you have got to find out what is holding you back.

Good luck, and don't give up.

Hey EXMIKE The schools I have asked for feeback from after getting put on wait lists basically just tell me to wait until I get a rejection then they will tell me. The process does seem to be getting really random because I know of people who got in with far less than what I have been told I have. I am probably going to go and do a MS in physiology and then re-apply to as many schools as I can afford. I only have two post interviews rejections now, Drexel and Cleveland Clinic. I am on four wait lists, one hold list (I think I am missing one). BUT I do interview well, atleast all my interviewers say so. I had three interviewers tell me that I was a great applicant and that they were shocked I hadnt been given a spot somewhere yet. I am just really f-ing frustrated today, got rejected from the Clinic last night and that was a top choice.

W222 said:
Hey EXMIKE The schools I have asked for feeback from after getting put on wait lists basically just tell me to wait until I get a rejection then they will tell me. The process does seem to be getting really random because I know of people who got in with far less than what I have been told I have. I am probably going to go and do a MS in physiology and then re-apply to as many schools as I can afford. I only have two post interviews rejections now, Drexel and Cleveland Clinic. I am on four wait lists, one hold list (I think I am missing one). BUT I do interview well, atleast all my interviewers say so. I had three interviewers tell me that I was a great applicant and that they were shocked I hadnt been given a spot somewhere yet. I am just really f-ing frustrated today, got rejected from the Clinic last night and that was a top choice.

Thats really odd then, I guess chalk it up to the randomness of the process. Keep going at it, you'll get in. :thumbup:

Wow that is really wierd. What schools have your applied to? Have your tried Temple, Drexel, Finch? Why don't you apply to some DO programs? I personally think University of New England, and PCOM are excellent schools.

From a previous post of yours
"I did have a strange personal statement but I am not sure if that would stop me from getting accepted. I have a back up plan in the works and I am going to reapply. I still have seven wait list spots open, although on one list I am on the bottom."

Maybe it was your strange personal statement? What was so strange about it?

W222 - there definitely are people who apply and get in after 3-4 tries - specifically on this board, you could try PMing ocean11 or Mr. Reddly. I know they've attempted several times and I believe have acceptances. Aside from that, it ain't over till it's over this year. You are on a decent number of waitlists, and if I were the betting type, I would say the odds are still in your favor of getting in this year.

Again, as other posters have said, did you apply to a range of schools? Does your personal statement adequately demonstrate the reasons behind your decision to go into medicine? Do you have people who know you well writing your LORs? What is BCPM gpa, and is it similar to your overall gpa? All questions to think about in your next application. Finally, if schools won't give you feedback until they've officially rejected you, by all means, wait for their advice. You can turn in your AMCAS, and then send letters of update to the schools.

Good luck getting off your waitlists this year!

Hello,

With a 3.5gpa and 30 on mcats... I am very surprised you didn't get into anywhere. Like other people said... did you apply to top schools only? Did you apply to like 10 schools?

I know bunch of peepz from harvard, yale undergrad who was really cocky and applied to like 7 MD schools, got rejected and went to St. George in the caribbean for school. Sad huh ? They didnt want to wait a year.

Also, apply to DO schools as well, though be careful though, it is looked down upon by most DO interviewers if they know you apply to both MDs and DOs. Plus... you have to make sure you want to be a DO just incase, because if you don't, sometimes.. the interviewer can sniff you out. I know some friends of how who got really high gpa, Mcats, applied to same DO school I go to and got rejected. I know other interviewers who got rejected when we interviewed together even though their stats were much higher than my.

About interviews.... all I can say is.. be humble. I know interviews are about you, but sometimes, people get carried away and self expression change from enthusiastic to cocky and arrogant.

Anyhow.. GOodluck with your application. I hope you get into schools of your choice. Also, pick up BARONS med school guide. It tells you the stats on every school, MD, DO, dental. They give you % from instate, minority, expenses, mcats, gpa, etc.

So if you're not a minority, don't apply to a minority school... most likely.. you won't get in.

MNgrrl said:
W222 - there definitely are people who apply and get in after 3-4 tries - specifically on this board, you could try PMing ocean11 or Mr. Reddly. I know they've attempted several times and I believe have acceptances. Aside from that, it ain't over till it's over this year. You are on a decent number of waitlists, and if I were the betting type, I would say the odds are still in your favor of getting in this year.

Dang, I feel popular :love: ...not to sure if that's what I want people to know me for though :laugh:

But ya, I'm living proof that people can get in on the 4th try...

As for calling the adcoms and asking what's up. I tried calling a handfull of them and always got the same thing. They couldn't tell me anything specific, only generic ideas they give to ALL applicants. The most specific thing I got was "perhaps you could take some more upper level biology courses":confused: ... Guess those EE courses just were not difficult enough to show I had what it takes.

I would tend to agree with the more "proactive" approach and talk with the places where you interviewed, set up a meeting with the dean of admissions, and see what you can do...or better yet, what you are doing wrong.
I did that, and going from no acceptances, I was accepted at 12 of the 14 places I interviewed at....

sia_simba said:
Also, apply to DO schools as well, though be careful though, it is looked down upon by most DO interviewers if they know you apply to both MDs and DOs.
This is not necessarily true. It was no problem for me because they do know you maximize your chances of getting in somewhere by applying to MD as well.

The problem is that when applying to DO schools, they want to make sure you want to attend b/c you want to be a DO and not as a back up. I have spoken with people at my school about this very problem. No school wants to be thought of as a "back-up", and by openly stating to DO schools that you are applying to both...it can have begative effects on how your and your sincerity about becoming a DO is percieved. Why put one more potential "nail in your coffin"?

Dude,
Take a look at what you are doing in the interviews. You are getting them, so your work on paper is not the problem...there is probably something about the way you are coming across, something you are saying, etc...that you need to change. I am not attacking, but rather trying to help.