1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I go into Optometry?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by FutureODnVA, Nov 14, 2005.

1. FutureODnVA

FutureODnVA Junior Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi everyone. Ok. I need advice. I am a junior in college and my major is Psych. I've always been interested in psych until recently. Aside from an unexplained decrease in interest, I also realized that there's not much you can do without a doctorate and even then, you don't make the money that you would expect for all the years of training and money spent for it. I figure if I'm going to be in debt, I need to know that I'll be able to pay the loans off!
    Aside from that, I have been increasingly interested in optometry. It seems like a great career and something that I could possibly see myself doing. However, I am not the best at math. It scares me a little. :( I know that calculus is a required course, along with physics, and chemistry. I think I could possibly handle the physics and chem, but I am terrified of calculus.......is it something that I should face and believe I can pass if I really study or should I question this knowing how I currently am at math?

Is there anyone else here that isn't great at math but got through it for the sake of being an optometrists or do you genuinely have to love math and be naturally gifted at it?

Sorry this is a novel, but thanks to any replies in advance!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 3eb4me

3eb4me Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Where do you go to school in VA?

4. FutureODnVA

Pre-Optometry
    I go to Virginia Wesleyan....or at least I will be in January. I transferred out of ODU.....what about you?

5. odstudent

odstudent Member
    5+ Year Member

I think i was in the same position as you. I really hated math and I dreaded taking calculus...physics...and chemisty.... but i got through it.
    Im a first year opt student now, and im doing fine. Optics is hard for me, but with a little extra studying its not too bad. Don't let your fear of math stop you from pursuing optometry. :)

6. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    A person should never make decisions based on fear! If you feel that optometry is the career for you... than bite the bullet and start studying. If you want it bad enough... you can do well in calculus, physics, or anything else that comes your way. Good luck in your future studies... perhaps we will be colleagues someday! p.greeneyes :luck: :luck:

7. FutureODnVA

Pre-Optometry
    Thanks for the great advice everyone! Down here at my school, I know absolutely no one who wants to go into optometry. So it's hard to find someone who really relates to me. I guess I should have more confidence in my abilities.....sometimes I think I may not be smart enough to go into such a difficult field. You know, some people strive well and are meant to be doctors,lawyers, etc and some aren't.....and I think I'm just scared that I might not be one of those people. How does someone know for sure? Is there a way to know?

8. ucbsowarrior

ucbsowarrior Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was always gifted in math, so I can't really relate...but I was poor in other subjects. I think ppl have a natural tendency to spend more time in the areas they excel in. It's the path of least resistence. You should try to review some of your highschool math and then read some calculus, physics books. It might be wise to have a tutor or a good friend help you with some of the areas you don't really understand. When you feel like you are up to par enrol in a calcus, physic...etc.. course and I think it shouldn't be that hard. If you have the will to excel I think you should do fine in the pre-req courses.

WRT to how much math there is in od school...to be honest with you there wasnt a heck of a lot. The little math there was, wasn't really difficult. I would say that it's easier than grade 12 math. So don't sweat it....

Math and Physics is not really about doing the questions and getting a high grade. It's about a school of thought. The ability to solve problems with a logical deductable path...and that's useful in all professions and life..

We should all try to improve in areas where we lack...this is how ppl become more well rounded. This mindset and skill is essential in one's life and career. Running from your problems / weakness is not the right approach (not making any insinuations).

Do the math...it'll make you a better person :)

9. FutureODnVA

Pre-Optometry
    You all are definitely right. I need to just suck it up, take the math class, and study like heck!

It's VERY refreshing to know that there's not alot of math in OD school!! :p
    I think it will make me a better person.

I always welcome more advice and opinions so anyone feel free to contact me!!

10. 4Eyes

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I just wanted to reinforce what everyone else is saying.

Math is NOT my strongest subject either. Everything is absolutely doable...it sometimes just requires a little extra work.

If optometry is what you want to do, don't let a fear of math get in your way. Just tackle it and you'll do great. :)

Good luck! :)

11. FutureODnVA

Pre-Optometry
    Ok, another question for you guys:

What made you decide to go into optometry? Aside from obviously liking eyes,vision, etc. I mean, out of all the possible majors and careers, what convinced you to choose optometry?

I like doing various things and there are several fields that interest me too. I am really leaning to optometry for a few reasons - 1) It seems pretty interesting 2) The courses will be an exciting challenge (I like accomplishing things that I originally thought I couldn't....like calculus! :p 3) I think the career will provide me with a good solid future. I will be able to provide for myself and my family (when I have one) and I can pay my loans back without such a struggle...4) There isn't alot of stress in the field and it's usually a solid 40 hr work week.

Are these good reasons to go into the field or am I looking at this wrong?

Once again, thanks in advance!! Ya'll are great!