Should I go into radiology or IM?

Started by Luka75
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Luka75

La logique, Fais-en ton seul outil
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been seeking advice/insight on this topic for a while now but I can't seem to find an answer I'm comfortable with.
Background: MS-3 at US MD school, step 1: 260's, gpa: 4.0 (not that it matters all that much), VP of radiology IG, some research with a few poster pres...

After shadowing a few times, I'm very much interested in DR (not so much for IR) for the same reasons as most of those interested in the field (Technology oriented, decent hours/life style friendly, reading imaging studies all day long, some minor procedures, minimal patient contact, ability to work from home, and of course $). Also, I do believe that there's some fulfillment in helping clinicians provide adequate care to patients but I can't shake the feeling that it will eventually become a bit too monotone and I will essentially fall out of love with the field.

That said, I know I mentioned that I'd enjoy minimal patient contact but I am also very much interested in Internal Medicine. However, after working in a hospital and an outpatient clinic for a while before starting med school, I do NOT want to practice IM in the US. I'd much rather do so in my home country; a 3rd world country where patient load is much less, lawsuits aren't really a thing, Corporations are nonexistent in the field, paperwork is minimal, and patients tend to be a bit more compliant. Both parents are IM Dr's down there, which is why I have an idea how it works. Also, I am American but I wasn't raised in the US.

In summary, I love DR now but I don't know how long that will last. I also love IM but I don't wanna practice in the US and I don't even want to go through IM residency here (Yes, I would power through it if necessary).

So, here are my questions.
1- If I go the DR route, will I be able to work as a generalist back in my home country or with organizations such as WHO or Docs w/o borders? (Can't find a consensus on that anywhere, I know of some docs who did it but many people tell me it's not possible so idk what to believe)
2- How common is it for radiologists to feel unfulfilled by their job?
3- Given what I mentioned, what seems like the most reasonable route?

I would greatly appreciate any word of wisdom.
Thank you.
 
Last edited:
I think you are already decided to go into DR as you posted this inquiry in radiology forum because you want reassurance.

I was in your situation last year and now TRI intern with advanced match in DR secured. I definitely encourage you to go to DR, with that CV you definitely will not face any problem.
 
I think you are already decided to go into DR as you posted this inquiry in radiology forum because you want reassurance.

I was in your situation last year and now TRI intern with advanced match in DR secured. I definitely encourage you to go to DR, with that CV you definitely will not face any problem.
Thank you for your input! And I agree, I am definitely tilting toward DR. If you don't mind me asking, was there any deal breaker that pushed you into DR?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your input! And I agree, I am definitely tilting toward DR. If you don't mind me asking, was there any deal breaker that pushed you into DR?

I was attracted to medicine because of the science, and using my mind to help people. I consider myself a humanitarian scientist. It wasn’t until my IM rotation I realized only 20% of it is science or actual humanitarianism, the rest is secretarial, bureaucratic nonsense.
 
Regarding your global health desires, there are opportunities as a radiologist if you seek them:




 
Hey
A R3 resident here, in a 3rd world country
I faced the same situation and after lots of thinkiny went for radiology
Radiology is really fulfilling, more in a 3rd world coutry where a good radiologist can really have an impact on patient care and have great value.
I also plan to do some vascular IR alongside general radiology and I think this would be a perfect combination in my home country
Good luck!