Should I go to Brown PLME??????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alipotato

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to Brown PLME. I think it will be a good experience. I want to concentrate in studio art and RISD is right around the corner
:D ......BUT, i heard Brown med isn't too hot. :mad: Also, i'm on the waiting lists at Harvard and Columbia, and i know i have a decent chance at getting into columbia (I have several good connections that I saved in case of this) and also harvard (if a spot opens up). Should I go to PLME? I don't think i can give up PLME even if I get into columbia. should I bother with trying to get off the wait-list at columbia? Please, help me!!!!!!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Alipotato:
•I just got accepted to Brown PLME. I think it will be a good experience. I want to concentrate in studio art and RISD is right around the corner
:D ......BUT, i heard Brown med isn't too hot. :mad: Also, i'm on the waiting lists at Harvard and Columbia, and i know i have a decent chance at getting into columbia (I have several good connections that I saved in case of this) and also harvard (if a spot opens up). Should I go to PLME? I don't think i can give up PLME even if I get into columbia. should I bother with trying to get off the wait-list at columbia? Please, help me!!!!!!! :confused: •••••Allow me to reply :)

It is best to go to Brown PLME. A friend of mine in my med school class applied out of the PLME program in his senior year and is now getting his MD from another institution. So that door is not closed by going to Brown and yet, you also get a guaranteed ticket to Brown med school.

You don't even need to take the MCAT going from Brown undergrad to brown med through PLME. But if you want to apply out of the program, then you have to go through the trouble of securing good undergrad GPA and actually take the MCAT.

My other friend who is at Brown says that the school does match fairly well. It seems that they send lots of kids to Harvard-affiliated hospitals. I will find a link to their matchlist when I get home.

Lastly, I met my friend at Brown during our time studied abroad. So PLME kids do take various opportunities during their 4 years and do not major just in the sciences. The only complaint my friend has is that he was so bored in undergrad and could not wait until med school started! I don't know if that's a good or bad thing considering everyone else on this board and other places is worried about his/her own med school admission chances :)

hey. i go to columbia, so i have a few things to say about your decision. i wanted to go to brown my whole life, but never got in. knowing what i do now, i still would've gone if i had the chance. basically, if you go to brown regular, or columbia, you will have the same chance of getting into med school, because i think their reputations are identical. the experiences, though, are COMPLETELY different. brown is MUCH MUCH MUCH more laid back. they never take more than 4 classes/semester, you can take all your classes p/f, and grading is a/b/c/no credit, without the +/- business, and most people get A's. what does this mean? it means that a good chunk of the class graduates with a 4.0. brown students i know (some of my best friends go there) are very very happy and all very laid back.

columbia is different. columbia is a wonderful experience, but only if you like nyc. i know people here that hate the city and are having a miserable time these past 4 years. the education you get at columbia is ridiculous, especially with the core. if you want to be premed here, you're sacrificing almost all your electives: 1/3 curriculum goes to core class, 1/3 to major, 1/3 to premed. you will take anywhere from 4-7 courses a semester (almost all semesters will be at least 5 with an additional 1 point lab or gym class) and the work can be intense.
the core classes are almost all humanities, and even science majors end up writing around 200 papers by the time you graduate (that number is an exaggeration, but not far off). you may not love all the core classes, but you'll like enough to enjoy them, and you learn more than you can fathom_ and it's stuff you apply to your general thinking and it helps you with everything else you study. basically, the core here molds the way you think, and by the time you're done, you will
1)argue very well
2)write VERY VERY VERY well, very fast, and very effectively (although it may not be clear by the way im splurging out this message)
3)have an obsenely large canon of background information, rendering you a very very well educated individual.

-but columbia can be intense, it's competitive as hell, and the people are definitely not as friendly as those in rhode island.

-at brown, they have absolutely NO core and you can just indulge any interest you have and take any course you want. don't get me wrong, at columbia, you'll have room for electives, but only a handful.

-basically, with PLME, you are avoiding the mcats, the stress of worrying about grades, and applying. these were basically the hardest part of my last 4 years, so it would be pretty tempting to pass them up.

-anyone on this board will agree that studying for and taking the mcats was the most difficult academic endeavor in the world. if you can avoid it, do it... also, applying is the biggest bitch in the world, so again, if you can bypass it, it's worth it.

-my advice would be to visit brown again, visit the med school, and SEE IF YOU CAN SPEND THE NEXT 8 YEARS THERE. if you can, go to PLME. brown may not have the best med school in the world, but it's good enough not to limit your options when you graduate. you will enjoy the next 4 years SO MUCH MORE without worrying about med school. it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it.
the more i write, the more i think you should forget about your waitlists and go to PLME.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with some of Choker's comments.
I am a senior at Brown and hopefully I can give you some accurate feedback.

It could be true that Brown is more laid back than Columbia.
However, it is very hard to get an A at Brown because most people will get B's. Having no +/- system can hurt your GPA. For example, if 90 and above is an A (4.0), 89 is a B (3.0). Generally, 60% of class gets B's and 15% gets A's. Of course, this is only for science courses. As Choker said, it is very easy to get A's in some courses like Econ, English, etc... Some of my PLME friends are concentrating in Econ and basically they do no work. In other words, they are simply wasting their brains. However, some hardcore PLMEs do really well and get into Harvard, Hopkins, Duke, etc...
Overall, it is very easy to see 4.0 econ majors here, but not 4.0 science majors.

It is possible that a student at Brown can take every course pass/fail, but that never happens, especially for premeds.
Brown premeds cannot take any science courses pass/fail. If they did that, they would not be able to apply to med schools. (exception: PLME students can take all the courses pass/fail and still can get their MDs. This is why I personally do not respect PLMEs here.)
Many Brown students take 5 courses/semester even though doing that is really tough at Brown.

About Brown med school....
Brown med school simply sucks....IMO
Basically, brown med school exists for the good of Brown undergrad biomed concentrators. Brown med officially merged with bio department last year.
I saw Brown's matchlist a few days ago, but very disappointing I thought. However, Brown MD/Phds match at top places.

If I were you, I would go to Brown and study your ass off. Brown undergrad education is amazing. There is no core curriculum so basically you can take any courses you like. But, take advantage of Brown's liberal curriculum only if you can do well in science courses. If you think you can get 3.7 and above, apply out. Don't stay at Brown med.

well that's fine, legi should know much more about brown and plme than i do, but i saw last year's matchlist and must say that i was very impressed.

plme is a tradeoff really. not a super med school, and you stay in providence for 8 years, BUT you dont have to worry for the next four and you can really have the best years of your life. if you do suddenly change your mind, you can switch out! i mean, i really dont think it gets any better than that. forget about the waitlists and go to brown, dude. decide about staying in plme after you realize how much it can suck to spend 4 years busting your ass when you dont have to.

I'm also a senior at Brown, and I must echo Legi's comments. I've noticed that there are basically 2 types of PLME students at Brown. Some are really amazing, unbelievably smart people, who typically graduate with very high GPAs, take lots of extra, high-level courses, and end up going to Harvard, Hopkins, etc. for medical school (because Brown Med isn't all that great). On the other hand, there are also a good number who completely slack off and take lots of their "pre-med" requirements pass/fail, or even go so far as to take difficult science courses like orgo at home during the summertime, so they can get an easy "A!" Of course, not EVERYONE fits into these two categories, but in my experience this generalization is quite valid for the most part.

In any case though, Brown is a really amazing place. I'd strongly recommend coming here for your undergrad years! I particularly love the laid-back atmosphere and lack of a core curriculum. There's nothing else like it! Good luck with your decision!

<a href="http://biomed.brown.edu/Students/Match/Matchlist.html" target="_blank">http://biomed.brown.edu/Students/Match/Matchlist.html</a>

Hey Ali--I think it comes down to this: go to the school that has the best undergrad for you. I graduated from Brown (regular, not plme) last year, and absolutely loved it. There's no place like it to encourage individual growth and just a fantastic college experience. However, it's not for everyone, and if you're more of a Harvard person that really thrives in a competitive environment, go there. I would say go to Brown PLME since it sounds like you can apply out to other med schools if you work hard. Brown Med is not a bad school at all. Also Legi is right--you have to be pretty stellar to get a lot of A's in science courses. I had a mediocre gpa applying to schools this year because my B's just counted for 3.0. Just the fact I went to Brown has helped a lot though, and I'm hoping to wind up at Tufts or Jefferson next year. No Columbia for me but that's cool--medicine is a personal, emotional, and lifelong pursuit--I suggest you worry more about having a great undergrad *now*, not just doing undergrad for the sole purpose of getting into Harvard Med. It's not worth it in my opinion. PM me if you have any other questions and good luck!

<a href="http://biomed.brown.edu/Students/Match/match2001.html" target="_blank">http://biomed.brown.edu/Students/Match/match2001.html</a>

match list for 2001

Reactions: 1 user
:clap: thank you for your messages :clap:

I think Legi has Brown Medical School very wrong.

Brown Medical School isn't as highly rated as the other Ivies, according to USNews, but it is a very solid medical school. Its basic science classes are decent, and its clinical rotations are very strong. One can do a clerkship in rural medicine or at a top level trauma center (at facilities within 30 minutes of each other) with reknown faculty members. The students at the school for the most part are non-competitive and friendly.

It is true that some PLME'S do slack off during their undergraduate years. These folks are balanced by the PLME's who work extremely hard. Only twenty percent of Brown undergrads graduate magna cum laude...a greater percentage of PLME's do.

I knew a guy last year who got into schools like Penn, Pitt, Mount Sinai and NYU and also interviewed at Hopkins and Columbia for medical school who stayed at Brown Med. Only three PLME's left the program last year - one went to Penn, one went to Columbia and the other went to Miami to be closer to home.

Basically, weigh all the facts before making a decision. It is hard to get into medical school period, as some on this board can attest. Being able to attend a school like Brown Med. without worrying about MCATS, cost of applications and interviews can be a wonderful thing.