Should I go to UOP interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuqele

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I got my first acceptance, I always thought this is a no brainer and found it a little funny to see threads like this on the forum. (GIVE ME YOUR SPOT IF YOU DONT WANT IT!) But now I totally understand how tough the decision is. :rolleyes:

So far, I've had five interviews. I'm accepted to UDM and Minnesota, and I'm still waiting to hear back from Pittsburgh, Case Western, and Tufts. And just a couple days ago, I received a surprising interview invitation from UOP.

UOP was my top choice when I first started applying, but the more I look into it, the more I worry about the accelerated pace. I might want to specialize, and the consensus seems to be that it's a little harder at UOP due to the lack of time. Also, this is a minor factor, but I definitely won't be practicing in California in the future.

On the other hand, the program is 3 years and and it's in SF. Who am I kidding? (But another minor negative: ex-boyfriend is also in SF :p)

Right now, Tufts is my #1. I loved everything about the school when I visited, but I'm scared to death about the cost. So the decision will probably come down to UDM v. Tufts. Maybe Case Western too. It's a lot like UDM but at a slightly better location.

Should I spend another $500 in flights to interview at UOP? If I like the school, the decision would become even tougher. If I don't like the school, it'll be a complete waste of time and money. But I also don't want to miss out a great school! There's also rumor that we're interviewing for waitlist spots at this point. GAHHHHHHHHH :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on how sure you are that you will/will not like UoP.

If you would rather go to UDM or Minnesota, even if you are accepted to UoP, then don't go.

If you're unsure and will regret the lost opportunity of interviewing and possibly getting into UoP, then go.

Do what you feel is best for you. You're in already, so you don't need to go to this interview, but at the same time if this could be a school you will like very much then you don't want to miss out on the opportunity to interview there.

every year, many people at UOP specialize. from what I heard from program directors, they actually love UOP grads because we are in general very clinically competent and hard working and don't require much babysitting.

in terms of interviewing for alternate spots -- I applied really late and interviewed in March and they told us we were interviewing for alternate spots. of the 10 people in my same interview group, 8 of them were in my matriculating class... so, i'd say odds are pretty good.

the school is moving to a new location soon...but even at the current location, we've got beautiful state-of-the-art facilities and world-class staff. I've been to many dental schools and have yet seen a nicer school than ours (or maybe i'm just biased). but it's your own personal choice.. good luck whatever you decide!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it! Don't miss out on the opportunity to visit what might potentially be the best school for you.

If you can find the pre/post december interview/acceptance, you would see that small number of post-dec get accepted for UOP. UOP being one of my top choices, if I had the opportunity to go for the interview I would. If you have the money to go, go for it.

It might be helpful for you if you research a little more thoroughly on UOP and see if you're more or less inclined to interview. I personally don't really think you should pass up the opportunity but if you are leaning towards another school or only want UOP because of the 3 year program or pretty much 1 big selling point, maybe you'd be happier elsewhere. $500 is a lot of money but it's an investment worth making if you're really interested in the school! Good luck with your decision

Congratulations on receiving acceptances from both UDM and Minnesota! UoP is a good school but if you would like to specialize after then it is known to be tricky to do so (given that you have little time for any extracurriculars when attending UoP). You should definitely do more research into what the school has to offer and see if you are really keen on attending. Given that you already have 2 acceptances, I don't think it would be worth the money to go interview unless you are absolutely sure you would want to attend there. To finish 1 year sooner isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It would be better to look at what the school has to offer you in terms of an education and where you want to end up in the future and decide accordingly if interviewing is right for you.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. I think ranting on SDN and reading other people's opinions somehow got me into perspectives. :p I just got accepted to Tufts, so the decision comes down to Tufts or UoP. If I think I'll choose UoP over Tufts if UoP accepts me, I'll go to the interview. Can't afford both Tufts deposit and flight... =\

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. I think ranting on SDN and reading other people's opinions somehow got me into perspectives. :p I just got accepted to Tufts, so the decision comes down to Tufts or UoP. If I think I'll choose UoP over Tufts if UoP accepts me, I'll go to the interview. Can't afford both Tufts deposit and flight... =\

Just put the deposit down for Tufts and give me your interview spot to me :D

Unless you are 100% all in on Tufts, i would go to the interview. I know $500 is a lot to you right now, but it will be a drop in the bucket if you end up going to UOP.

You literally have nothing to loose and everything to gain by going to the interview, if anything maybe you can spend a couple days there and check out the city. Best of luck!!

How would you decide between the two without attending the UoP interview? :confused:

Congratulations on receiving acceptances from both UDM and Minnesota! UoP is a good school but if you would like to specialize after then it is known to be tricky to do so (given that you have little time for any extracurriculars when attending UoP). You should definitely do more research into what the school has to offer and see if you are really keen on attending. Given that you already have 2 acceptances, I don't think it would be worth the money to go interview unless you are absolutely sure you would want to attend there. To finish 1 year sooner isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It would be better to look at what the school has to offer you in terms of an education and where you want to end up in the future and decide accordingly if interviewing is right for you.

Do not pay attention to what this person has to say. They want to go to UOP and are trying to deter every single person from either interviewing or enrolling at the school.

OP I would say go to the interview. I was in your position back in November and thought there was no way i would choose UOP. But now I placed a deposit at the school. Plus whats another $500 when you are gonna be 400K in debt. Good luck with your decision.