Should I goto an alternate list interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xanthines

decaying organic matter
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
1,093
Reaction score
5

Members don't see this ad.
I got an e-mail from MCW for an interview invite for the alternate list today. At first I was excited, but then I saw it was for the alt-list? Should I even bother?

I'm still waiting for news from 3 schools I at which I've already interviewed (in-state schools). I've also been put on an alternate list already at another school, in-state. Plus, I've gotten more than few rejections (all pre-interview).

The trip is going to be pretty costly which is why I'm wondering if it is worth it. It would be different if it were a shot at an acceptance OR if I'd been accepted anywhere already!

So what would you do?

-X
 

lizzylu

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2003
Messages
111
Reaction score
1
My first question was, are you in anywhere yet?
If so, then the answer is obvious..don't go.

But if you're still waiting to hear from 3 schools post interview, your chances of getting into at least one of these schools is good.

However, MCW could be the one, so here's what I'd do. Find out when the latest you can interview for this "waitlist" is, and sign up for that (at this point the time won't matter). If you hear something in the meantime from the other schools you can cancel the MCW interview and save some $. If nothing is heard, then go and do the MCW interview, and if you're a confident interviewee than they may accept you very quickly after interviewing, you never know.

Good luck
 

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2003
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
18
Xanthines,

I'd consider going. At many of my interviews, I already know that I was going straight to the waitlist b/c the interviewers revealed this to me in person. At least you know in advance where you stand. If MCW is a top choice for you, I would definitely say invest the money and go, b/c you really never know. I'm in a similar boat, three pre-interview rejections, no acceptances, one official waitlist, and waiting to be placed on the waitlist of two other schools (based on the outcome of the interviews, which went pretty well), so I am going to every last one of my interviews. But believe you me, if I get something before my last scheduled one in late March, I'm cancelling that to save money and possible heartache. I wish you the best.

Best of luck,
H&T
 

xanthines

decaying organic matter
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
1,093
Reaction score
5
Tell me about it! But no, I am sadly acceptance-less. :(

Good advice on the waiting to last minute, though...

-X

Originally posted by lizzylu
My first question was, are you in anywhere yet?
If so, then the answer is obvious..don't go.

Good luck
 

xanthines

decaying organic matter
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
1,093
Reaction score
5
I feel your pain!

-X

Originally posted by Heal&Teach
<snip!>

I'm in a similar boat, three pre-interview rejections, no acceptances, one official waitlist, and waiting to be placed on the waitlist of two other schools (based on the outcome of the interviews, which went pretty well), so I am going to every last one of my interviews.

 

Brickhouse

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2003
Messages
4,173
Reaction score
9
Originally posted by xanthines
I got an e-mail from MCW for an interview invite for the alternate list today. At first I was excited, but then I saw it was for the alt-list? Should I even bother?

-X


Hey I got the same interview! I was like "thanks a lot people"! Fortunately I do have an acceptance so I turned it down. Maybe you can just schedule it and cancel if anything happens before then? You probably have a good chance with your state schools, tho, don't you think?
 

meanderson

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2003
Messages
681
Reaction score
0
xanthines, you're from georgia right? If not, disregard all of this :) If you interviewed at all four schools(emory, mcg, morehouse, mercer), I've got to believe you will find an acceptance later in the cycle somewhere. When the emory waitlist moves a little this forces the mcg waitlist to kick into gear which forces the same at mercer. MCG only has one or two more adcomm meetings until waitlist letters are sent out, and I think mercer is on a similar timetable this year.

But I'm not sure that you can get an MCW date that late in the cycle. It's a tough call. If it were me, I'd try to schedule the interview as late as possible and go if you have to. I did the same thing with out of state virginia schools and it worked. Good luck....
 

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
2,048
Reaction score
6
You should not think that one of your 3 interviews will be an acceptance. Since you have no acceptances right now, you should jump at every opportunity to interview.

With that said, you definitely should go to the interview. You don't want to be kicking yourself in July when your sitting on no acceptances and you turned down another opportunity to get accepted.
 
Top