Should I graduate w/ 2.7 GPA or its possible to raise GPA to 3.0 in 1 semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeisgood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to sdn and really would appreciate guidance on how to increase my undergrad GPA which is very low (2.7). I want to apply for MD at any cost bc I do not have a back up plan and know Im capable for this field. I have had serious health issues that got me low gpa.

My current situation:
I am a bio major.. almost done with my last class tis summer and have no more coursework remaining. I was thinking to graduate and apply for post bac program or master of biomedical one yr program at RWJ but their cumulative gpa n science gpa requirement is 3.0 atleast. There is no point in graduating if I can't get into post bac even.

My question is
Is it possible to raise 2.8 gpa to 3.0 with just 1 more semester? If yes how many classes should I take? How can I be sure I can pick up the gpa meaning if someone can show how to calc desired gpa according to my school's standards. n is it better to repeat courses or take higher sci classes n get A.

Also, Should I even think about going into post bac or stick around at same school for maybe a yr n keep taking courses to raise GPA n study for MCATs n directly apply to Med schools? I took quiet long already to graduate so think tat its going to look bad to medical school committee if i stay at same school n don't go for post bac.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is: Is it possible to raise 2.8 gpa to 3.0 with just 1 more semester?

Unfortunately, you will need a full year of straight-As to reach the 3.0 threshold.

Source: GPA spreadsheet

Download a GPA calculator and do the legwork yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schedule a meeting with a student adviser or counselor at your university and they'll tell you exactly where you're currently standing and what options you have available to you.

Yea thank you everyone.. my counselor told me to go for 1 more semester and get straight As repeating classes.
I calculated GPA using calculator but it doesn't match the standards from my school so not sure how accurate it is.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that someone with a 2.8 gpa will be unable to raise it to a 3.0 with straight As.

Yea thank you everyone.. my counselor told me to go for 1 more semester and get straight As repeating classes.
I calculated GPA using calculator but it doesn't match the standards from my school so not sure how accurate it is.

I am betting that your school may replace grades once you retake the class, which is why your GPA will jump so much. However when you submit your app EVERY class you ever took will count into your GPA, there are no repeats or do over when you apply. I can tell you honestly that you need to start looking at Post Bac programs, DO school or the Carribean.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that someone with a 2.8 gpa will be unable to raise it to a 3.0 with straight As.
Depends on how many credit guy is taking. If he's got 100 credits down and takes 20 credits and gets A's in all classes, he'll be at a 3.0.

Depends on how many credit guy is taking. If he's got 100 credits down and takes 20 credits and gets A's in all classes, he'll be at a 3.0.

No it doesn't. If he were the kind of student that can get all As, then he wouldn't be sitting on a B- average.

No it doesn't. If he were the kind of student that can get all As, then he wouldn't be sitting on a B- average.

ANYTHING is possible, I did it. I went from a 2.5 all the way to a 3.2. I even received a scholarship for my perseverance. Geez come back down to earth.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I am new to sdn and really would appreciate guidance on how to increase my undergrad GPA which is very low (2.7). I want to apply for MD at any cost bc I do not have a back up plan and know Im capable for this field. I have had serious health issues that got me low gpa.

My current situation:
I am a bio major.. almost done with my last class tis summer and have no more coursework remaining. I was thinking to graduate and apply for post bac program or master of biomedical one yr program at RWJ but their cumulative gpa n science gpa requirement is 3.0 atleast. There is no point in graduating if I can't get into post bac even.

My question is
Is it possible to raise 2.8 gpa to 3.0 with just 1 more semester? If yes how many classes should I take? How can I be sure I can pick up the gpa meaning if someone can show how to calc desired gpa according to my school's standards. n is it better to repeat courses or take higher sci classes n get A.

Also, Should I even think about going into post bac or stick around at same school for maybe a yr n keep taking courses to raise GPA n study for MCATs n directly apply to Med schools? I took quiet long already to graduate so think tat its going to look bad to medical school committee if i stay at same school n don't go for post bac.

Look sweetheart, you can do it. I know many people who have come back from a low gpa ( myself included). I mean, realistically, it depends on how many credits you currently have. You can also predict your gpa yourself. I believe you add up the quality points and divide by quality hours, I think that's right : /. And it is NOT the end of the world to do a formal or informal post-bacc. Taking a year off will only help you if you believe in yourself and want to make your dream a reality. Good luck! And remember....confidence is key : )

You said you had a 2.7 and a 2.8. I am going to assume you have a high 2.7.

Since you are about to graduate and likely have a ton of credits already, it is going to be impossible to raise your cumulative GPA up to a 3.0 in only one semester with straight A's. You need at least a year for that. You are able to calculate that yourself, not hard.

Here is my advice:

1. You should always have a back-up plan. Always.
2. If health problems caused you to get a 2.7 are you still having those health problems?
3. At this point, unless you're a URM, you have almost no shot at an M.D. school. Do you have an MCAT score? You likely need a 33+ to be competitive at all for M.D.

The smart thing to do:
consider D.O. schools. They do grade replacement. Retake those classes you did very poorly on and it will drastically raise your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
ANYTHING is possible, I did it. I went from a 2.5 all the way to a 3.2. I even received a scholarship for my perseverance. Geez come back down to earth.

post pics or it didn't happen.

Good luck with that thought process ; )

good thing you have a lot of proof for the very unlikely things that you claim you did, otherwise it might be difficult to believe anything you say ; )

The proof is on my transcript hun. Just because someone has a low gpa doesn't mean they can't persevere and succeed. The heck????

The summer of my senior year, I took 12 credit hours and got straight As' (4.0) The fall I took 17 credit hours and had a 3.7 gpa for that semester. How you love that???

If only it were possible for someone to have a document and use some sort of machine, maybe with light in it or something, to make a copy of said document. Then you could upload that document using that same machine so you could put it on the internet to easily prove a statement. Whoever invents that machine will make a lot of money.

Theoretically yeah it would be hard to get straight A's if you're the kind of student who has averaged high C's/low B's in college, but it is statistically possible.

Now a 2.5 to a 3.2, I don't think that's possible at all in one semester.

If only it were possible for someone to have a document and use some sort of machine, maybe with light in it or something, to make a copy of said document. Then you could upload that document using that same machine so you could put it on the internet to easily prove a statement. Whoever invents that machine will make a lot of money.

Its possible, just unlikely. The a good people on SDN tend to be a rare breed of uber-Type A who can get their **** together and plow through when needed. Although most do well all the time, some don't find their calling till later.

Theoretically yeah it would be hard to get straight A's if you're the kind of student who has averaged high C's/low B's in college, but it is statistically possible.

Now a 2.5 to a 3.2, I don't think that's possible at all in one semester.

Right! He or she can either take a HUGE load of credit hours in one semester or do it in two semesters. My advice is to just to ace your classes this semester and stay an extra semester if your goal is a 3.0. If your goal is higher, then you need a longer timeframe. Nevertheless, anything is possible as long as you believe in yourself and are determined to achieve your goal : )

Lmao why would I waste my time? I don't need to prove anything to you but I'm glad you're doubting me. It just proves that I did my thing by overcoming that hurdle even more. Gracias ; )

I don't think you understand the concept of proof.

I don't think you understand that I don't give a **** lol. I don't know you, therefore the only people I will give proof to is the admissions committee. Capeche?

The summer of my senior year, I took 12 credit hours and got straight As' (4.0) The fall I took 17 credit hours and had a 3.7 gpa for that semester. How you love that???

But your other thread said you're taking general chemistry 2 next semester. How did you finish your senior year without finishing general chemistry and o chem (since gen chem is normally a pre req). Unless you switched majors or something I'm finding this timeframe a little strange.

Sent via mobile

I raised a 2.65 (through 121 credits) to a 3.10 in a year while working full-time, volunteering/researching/shadowing 10 hours per week, and getting a 33 on the MCAT. It's possible.

Like others have said it depends on how many credits you have so far. Do the math and see how many credits you need to raise your GPA to whatever goal you have. I recommend making an excel data sheet with all your classes, this way is easy to calculate how much your GPA will increase after taking "x" number of credits. Good luck.

But your other thread said you're taking general chemistry 2 next semester. How did you finish your senior year without finishing general chemistry and o chem (since gen chem is normally a pre req). Unless you switched majors or something I'm finding this timeframe a little strange.

Sent via mobile

Lmao are you serious?

I raised a 2.65 (through 121 credits) to a 3.10 in a year while working full-time, volunteering/researching/shadowing 10 hours per week, and getting a 33 on the MCAT. It's possible.

Thank you. My point exactly.

Don't listen to anything ILuvScience says, he/she is a troll and I find it embarrassing that the mods haven't deleted their account yet. That goes for Verum too.

Keep Thinking that.

Personally I would graduate then do a postbacc as long as it is feasible, I know some states like CA have severely restricted enrollment if you already have a BA/BS. If you take a 5th year then your 4th and 5th year grades are lumped together vs if you do a postbacc they are shown separately, granted it doesn't make a difference in your cGPA but it can look "better".

You can do an informal postbacc by enrolling either as a non-matriculated/non degree seeking student or a 2nd bachleors, I was enrolled as a 2nd bachelors since it gave me priority registration as well as eligibility for loans. However like I said there are some schools that restrict enrollment so check beforehand.

I graduated with a 2.81 over 132 credit hours, then I did a postbacc with a 3.78 over 97 credit hours to bring it to a 3.23 while working full-time. It's tough but if that's your end goal, it's doable. There are even schools like Wayne State that say if you did a postbacc of over 20 credit hours they'll look at that instead of your cumulative.

Personally I would graduate then do a postbacc as long as it is feasible, I know some states like CA have severely restricted enrollment if you already have a BA/BS. If you take a 5th year then your 4th and 5th year grades are lumped together vs if you do a postbacc they are shown separately, granted it doesn't make a difference in your cGPA but it can look "better".

You can do an informal postbacc by enrolling either as a non-matriculated/non degree seeking student or a 2nd bachleors, I was enrolled as a 2nd bachelors since it gave me priority registration as well as eligibility for loans. However like I said there are some schools that restrict enrollment so check beforehand.

I graduated with a 2.81 over 132 credit hours, then I did a postbacc with a 3.78 over 97 credit hours to bring it to a 3.23 while working full-time. It's tough but if that's your end goal, it's doable. There are even schools like Wayne State that say if you did a postbacc of over 20 credit hours they'll look at that instead of your cumulative.

That's exactly what I'm doing, 2nd degree seeking student

Was your end goal getting into a postbacc or SMP?

End goal was having >3.0 so I could get into DO. But then I found out just how low URM matriculant stats are and decided to apply to MD as well.