should i include first in Italian class award?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorious

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I studied abroad to Italy for a quarter and by the end of the program, we had an award ceremony and I received a paper certificate for being first in class (highest overall grade) in my Italian language class. True, there were only 7 people in my class... :rolleyes: but I'd like to think that it was something special because everyone else in my class had already taken Italian 1. I, on the other hand, had no prior Italian experience except listening to Italian language CD's for a few weeks before coming to Italy. I not only placed into Italian 2/3 at the start of the program but ended up doing better than everybody else who already learned some Italian.

Anyway, should I include this "first in Italian class award" in a supplementary application question that asks to list my honors/awards?

I have Dean's Honor List, freshman honor societies, and graduated with Latin Honors already, so I thought adding this one might spice things up... but I do not want it to look like a desperate attempt to add to my list.

Thanks in advance!!
:D

Members don't see this ad.

That seems kind of a stretch. If you're describing your Italian study abroad program, then you can of course mention that award. But if they're asking you to list awards and honors and you list that in addition to your very academically related awards (freshman honor societies, dean's honor list, etc.), then it does seem like you're putting it there just to increase your list.

That seems kind of a stretch. If you're describing your Italian study abroad program, then you can of course mention that award. But if they're asking you to list awards and honors and you list that in addition to your very academically related awards (freshman honor societies, dean's honor list, etc.), then it does seem like you're putting it there just to increase your list.

I agree with Hassler. While the award may have been significant to you, you have to ask yourself if it's going to help you shine in the eyes of medical schools. You being the best in a class of seven does not exactly sing your praises -- but you can use it as interview material or something to put in your secondary essays. There will be plenty of opportunities to discuss this achievement prior to matriculation. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks hassler! i'm going to go with your advice. i just needed an objective point of view to push me one way or the other.

i just thought of another question... let's say i notice that a certain school has Dr. X on their faculty who teaches a course. now, i would be genuinely interested and excited to take that course. if i were to mention it in a supplemental essay, (ie "I would be excited to take Dr. X's course in ____") would this sound like superficial name-dropping, or come off as someone who has looked into the school's curriculum and is really interested?

THanks...

I agree with Hassler. While the award may have been significant to you, you have to ask yourself if it's going to help you shine in the eyes of medical schools. You being the best in a class of seven does not exactly sing your praises -- but you can use it as interview material or something to put in your secondary essays. There will be plenty of opportunities to discuss this achievement prior to matriculation. Good luck!

zipmedic, that's a very good point. thanks! love jim by the way.

i just thought of another question... let's say i notice that a certain school has Dr. X on their faculty who teaches a course. now, i would be genuinely interested and excited to take that course. if i were to mention it in a supplemental essay, (ie "I would be excited to take Dr. X's course in ____") would this sound like superficial name-dropping, or come off as someone who has looked into the school's curriculum and is really interested?

That depends. Was that question, "Why School X?" If so, I think mentioning Dr. X is fair game -- it shows you have researched and are excited about specific aspects of the school. On the other hand, if the question were, "Tell us about your motivation for medical study" I'd stay away. It's all about context. Once again, if you can't work it in to an essay somewhere, save it for an interview or Letter of Interest/Intent later on.

...and Jim's the man.

That depends. Was that question, "Why School X?" If so, I think mentioning Dr. X is fair game -- it shows you have researched and are excited about specific aspects of the school. On the other hand, if the question were, "Tell us about your motivation for medical study" I'd stay away. It's all about context. Once again, if you can't work it in to an essay somewhere, save it for an interview or Letter of Interest/Intent later on.

...and Jim's the man.

Thanks! I forget to think about context sometimes.

To continue with our side note: Jim is great but I get annoyed of his eyebrow-arching-squeeze-lips-together look that he always gives to the camera. I think Dwight is my new favorite character :p