should I lose hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat. I was reconsidering retaking the MCATs as well.

It's become pretty late in the cycle. The end of February is approaching, and students for the next cycle are probably starting on their statements and preparing for the MCATs.

If you think the situation isn't very favorable, then maybe you should begin studying for the April MCATs now.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose hope...I know for a fact that there are plenty of candidates who have deposited on slots at certain schools, and are now renegging b/c they got accepted at other schools...so I'm sure that there will be more spots open for potential candidates...Cheer up..it's not over yet! I know students that were called on the day before classes began!

When you say you haven't heard from them, does that mean that you never interviewed, or that you interviewed and then never heard from them.

If you haven't interviewed, you should probably retake the MCAT. You are most likely not going to be accepted this year.

If you have interviewed, you still have a chance when the final date comes up for students to turn down the schools they have been accepted to and are not going to attend (I think it is May 1st?)

What, by the way were your MCAT's? Re-taking them is largely dependent on the score you received and whether you think you can do better.

Hold the boat!
What were your MCAT scores? Maybe you should be getting experience or working on some other portion of your app. You need to contact at least one school you really wanted to get into, get a hold of an admissions officer and find out what was weak about your application! You would feel pretty silly retaking that beastly exam if you didn't need to, wouldn't you? You better act QUICK to find out because you have to work hard to raise the score. A second MCAT score is expected to raise a point or two just based on familiarity so you should try and get a three point boost or better and work on your weakest section. A native english speaker should not have a 6, 13, 12, O score and most adcoms consider this to be problematic despite high science scores. Write me and maybe I could be of some help if you want.
Rob

The good news:

Don't totally give up yet. I was in your situation a few years ago. My secondaries were finished in Nov. My first interview wasn't until Feb 20th(ish) at UMDNJ. Then I also interviewed at PCOM in April and NYCOM in MAY!! So there is still a chance you will hear something.

The bad news:

I was waitlisted at all three of these schools. I had my reapplication ready to be mailed when I was finally accepted. Don't get your hopes too high. Plan on reapplying, if your MCAT's are poor think about retaking them. As rhillstr said, make an appointment to discuss your file with one of the dean's of admission to find out where you are weak. Do you need more practical experience?? Also ask if you reaaply will it make a difference if you retake the MCAT in april vs. August. Maybe you can put it off until you are sure. Unfortunately many schools don't send out final rejections until May.

Good luck & hope you hear something.
Linda

[This message has been edited by Linda (edited 02-24-2000).]