Should I mention bad grades in Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Septimusseverus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I applied to 30 MD schools this year, only got 1 interview and probably am not gonna get accepted there. So I'm preparing to reapply.

I have lots of shiny extracurriculars and a decent 30T MCAT. My major setback was undoubtedly grades; I have a 3.2 sci and nonsci. However, it's shown an upward trend during junior and senior years. Schools saw the junior year trend since it was already on the transcript by last summer, but did not get to see the senior trend... so I'm hoping that will help me out further this time.

Should I mention my grade improvement in the personal statement? My grades really slipped freshman and sophomore year for a few reasons (I was working on extreme weight loss, I was uncomfortable with the class sizes, and I was just plain unmotivated) but I have really brought them up.

Or would mentioning the bad grades just bring up a red flag?

Members don't see this ad.

Typically you do not want to do anything that would point out flaws in your application. Obviously talking about it in your personal statement would be highlighting it.

Remember that the prompt for the personal statement is, "Why do you want to go to medical school?"

If your grades are an important factor in why you want to go to medical school then I guess you could mention it.

I was like you with a small patch of bad grades but I had a very strong upward trend my third and fourth years. But I did not talk about it in my PS because my grades did not change the "why I want to be a doctor."

In your case, and the overwhelming majority of them, no. Adcoms aren't going to be terribly sympathetic to bad grades because of weight loss and adjustment issues - the addition of your senior grades should help though.

The only time it might be all right is if your grades dropped because of a discrete, life-changing event like losing your parents and having to take custody of your 3 year old little sis. The kind of thing that could be expected to throw even the most dedicated person off their game. And, even then, I'd mention it as matter-of-factly and briefly as possible so it's less likely to be taken as overly melodramatic/emotionally manipulative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they one of the compelling reasons you want to become a physician?

(Answer: probably not)

Your transcript mentions them for you already.

Something you can do is write a little paragraph about "how hard your life was freshman/sophomore year etc etc" (obviously with different words) but how you have since rebounded even stronger. There will often be space for this in the secondary application or even the interview.

I've heard it said by adcoms that the PS is a place to explain some serious weaknesses in your application. Some schools have secondaries where u can explain yourself but not all. Not sure how much explaining it will help you though. If you do, don't try to justify your bad grades.. but you can humbly and politely explain what happened.

I semi-passively addressed poor grades in my PS. This is what I wrote:

Re-focused on what I had been so interested in from such a young age I began applying myself more diligently. I seriously committed to changing my study habits and became much more focused and devoted. Taking a more active role in my education, I supplemented my pre-med courses in pursuing related interests in psychology and neuroscience and becoming active in research. I began to consistently make the Dean's list, and was inducted into the Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology.

But in IMO and as Brubbs stated it should really focus on why medicine. I got very positive feedback on my PS from the school where I interviewed and those I had review it. I'm tweeking my PS for this next application cycle and will likely alter this, if not cut it completely and try and focus more on why medicine.

Re-focused on what I had been so interested in from such a young age I began applying myself more diligently. I seriously committed to changing my study habits and became much more focused and devoted. Taking a more active role in my education, I supplemented my pre-med courses in pursuing related interests in psychology and neuroscience and becoming active in research. I began to consistently make the Dean’s list, and was inducted into the Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology.

But in IMO and as Brubbs stated it should really focus on why medicine. I got very positive feedback on my PS from the school where I interviewed and those I had review it. I'm tweeking my PS for this next application cycle and will likely alter this, if not cut it completely and try and focus more on why medicine.

I did something similar to this in my PS. Had a very successful application season. Honestly it all depends. I made it a part of my story. Focused it more on the experiences that helped me focus and realize that medicine is what I truly wanted to do.

Usually I recommend not mentioning negatives in your PS as they are addressed elsewhere in your application. However, if you do decide to address it please be sure work it in smoothly as WilburCobb has done. ADCOMs do NOT like people that sound like they are whining, life challenges come up for everyone!

Survivor DO

Re-focused on what I had been so interested in from such a young age I began applying myself more diligently. I seriously committed to changing my study habits and became much more focused and devoted. Taking a more active role in my education, I supplemented my pre-med courses in pursuing related interests in psychology and neuroscience and becoming active in research. I began to consistently make the Dean’s list, and was inducted into the Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology.

Follow this advice, OP. Could have practically been taken right out of my own PS haha.