Should I mention depression in pharmacy interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ModestMouse33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been suffering with depression/anxiety since I was 13. It has really affected my grades in college. My freshman year I failed 3 classes and was on academic probation, but I turned it around sophomore year and my GPA started rising. My depression peaked 2 years ago when my 18 year old niece overdosed on methadone. That semester my GPA was just about down to where it was freshman year. I've been steadily trying to boost it back up and seeking help for my depression. My question is, should I mention this during the interview? My niece and everything? I know there's such a stigma about mental health and I don't want it to seem like I want them to pity me, but there's an obvious jump from when I started turning things around sophomore year to when my niece died, to now. It's a big reason why my grades are the way that they are. Do you think that they will feel like i'll be biased toward methadone users or something when I become a pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't mention it if you already got invited for interviews. That means the school is interested in you as a candidate after seeing your grades/scores.

If they ask you about your grades, just be vague and say you had tough times in your life but that it's in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't actually been invited to any interviews yet. I'm still trying to get my grades acceptable enough to start applying. I've just been thinking about it a lot recently and it terrifies me doing all this work to get my grades in order and my PCAT scores and everything and not being able to get into pharmacy school. I have no back up plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's closed file (interviewers do not see your GPA or anything) or partially closed (one of mine they only had your personal statement), I wouldn't mention it. If it's open file and they ask, I would just mention about depression after your niece's overdose and typical "oh, the first semester was a culture shock" (or whatever) and I have learned how to cope with that since then (so shouldn't happen again in pharmacy school). I would also say how important public health and such is important for you (especially because of your niece). That would be my strategy at least.

Hi ModestMouse33,
Only mention it if asked. Some interviewer will ask this question: Is there anything you would like to tell us that does not show in your personal statement or your application you want to talk about? Answer question honestly but adjust your word choice carefully. Do say my low GPA in undergraduate is partially due to my anxiety/ depression, therefore I want to go to pharmacy school to find way to help other improve their mental health. DO NOT SAY MY ANXIETY/DEPRESSION is the cause of my failure in academic. A problem will be always a problem, how you present it is another thing. Make sure you practice your answer before the interview.