Should I mention working for my uncle in my personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HPAbby

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am applying to pharmacy school. I don't have a lot of experience working in a retail pharmacy because my goal is to pursue a career in medical writing. My uncle is a medical writer so he let me shadow him as an "office assistant" for a year and a half while finishing my bachelor's degree. I learned a lot about the field while I was working there, so I did write about it in my personal statement. However, I am not sure if/how I should mention that it was a family member's company.

I feel like I should mention it because it is the only reason I had the opportunity to work there. I just don't know if I should mention it in my personal statement, but I am not sure where else I would have a chance to mention it as not all schools have supplemental apps.

I also want to add that I am getting a recommendation letter from my uncle's colleague. I thought this was okay because he is both objective and can attest to what I did while working there.
 
I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning that the medical writer you had an opportunity to shadow was your uncle - that could help explain how you were able to get such a unique experience. I know plenty of people who have shadowed their parents or relatives, and shadowing your uncle is no "less" of an experience than shadowing any other medical writer.

Having your uncle's colleague write a letter of reference for you is definitely more objective (at least from the admissions committee's perspective) than asking your uncle to write one on your behalf. 🙂