Dental Should I pass/fail in non-preq STEM classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'll be applying for dental schools this cycle and so far I'm pretty happy with my GPA I currently have a 3.957. This semester I'm really stressed out because of COVID depression so my grades in two of my non-pre-req STEM classes (Calc 2 and Analytical Chemistry) slipped a bit. I'm looking at B/B+ in both of those classes (7 credits together) which isn't terrible but it definitely will affect my GPA. I still have As in my other classes this semester (8 credit). So my question is: should I go for a pass/fail option for those classes and will it hurt my dental school applications?

My top choices are Harvard, Penn, Boston
Keep the grade. A B/B+ isn't going to kill your app and it shouldn't drop your GPA too much. Having some classes with grades and others with P/F in the same semester will definitely stick out like a sore thumb and lead schools to think you were trying to hide something (like C's). Stick with grades.

Members don't see this ad.

It won't matter, and B's aren't going to hurt you. I don't know for sure, but I would not take the risk of P/F in case there are some faculty members that equate a Pass with a C in their heads (even though they aren't supposed to be doing this).

Status
Not open for further replies.