Should I plan on going into Harvard Extension School, is it a good idea? Is it worth it in my situation?

JusSumGuy

Reaction score
For further context, I am currently a 12th-grade high school student enrolled in my local community college. My school allows juniors and seniors to take DE credit with the neighboring college, if I continue this path I will be graduating high school with an associate's degree upon graduation (General Studies/CS Specialization).

OPTION #1: Being a resident of VA, community and undergraduate colleges are actually very good about transferring credits. If I were to stay in VA and attend a college in state (the ones I'm applying to), then they will take just about all of my credits and I'll have a little over two years of college to finish.

OPTION #2: Because of the fact that I am finishing high school with an associate's degree and I'll be 18, I'm also eligible for the Harvard Extension Program. I am aware that the qualifications for the Extension school are

You don’t already hold a bachelor’s degree.
You aren’t enrolled in a degree program at another institution.
You have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Your high school diploma was awarded at least five years before you enrolled in your degree courses
And pass the 3 entry-level courses with a B or higher, which I know is not an easy task

My questions are: Is this a good way to go about my undergraduate degree if my ultimate goal is to get into medical school ?
Is completing all of the premed requisites a possibility under the extension school (I've taken many already but may do them at the undergrad level)?
Will being in the Harvard Extension School give me any advantage if I wish to apply on the graduate level after undergrad (before med school)?

Also, I'm not sure if this should matter in my decision but my high school GPA ( as of now, before starting senior year) is 3.96 and my community college GPA will be in between 3.7-3.8 by the time I graduate.

I know this is a lot to unpack, but I appreciate any info or advice given... Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This is not meant for you. Technically, you ARE enrolled in a degree program if you are going to be graduating with an Associates degree. Moreover, it will not have been 5 years since you earned your HS diploma.

Reactions: 1 users
So you think you can do your whole undergrad degree through Harvard Extension? Is that a possibility?
You haven’t been out of high school for 5 years. You are still in high school.
You said you are in an Associate Degree program so that eliminates you.

Just go to college. Have a good time. Grow, mature, volunteer , try something new. And don’t take your premed prereqs at the community college. Med schools will want to see you excel in a university/college curriculum. You have lots of time. Slow down.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is not meant for you. Technically, you ARE enrolled in a degree program if you are going to be graduating with an Associates degree. Moreover, it will not have been 5 years since you earned your HS diploma.
I appreciate the feedback, thanks for the information. I guess I'm a bit all over the place at the moment, I hadn't realized that would eliminate me from the program. I'm aware that the University of Pennsylvania has a similar program through Penn LPS Online, would I also not be eligible for this as well?

My questions are: Is this a good way to go about my undergraduate degree if my ultimate goal is to get into medical school ?
Good lord, I'd need to dispose of your application with tongs.

@candbgirl is right. From age 18 to 25 your primary goal is to grow up. Go to college and work hard, socialize, make friends, date, do all the stuff that's associated with becoming a well-adjusted adult. Trying to worm your way into medical school through the (virtual) side door of an Ivy League school is not going to benefit you in the long run.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
So you think you can do your whole undergrad degree through Harvard Extension? Is that a possibility?
You haven’t been out of high school for 5 years. You are still in high school.
You said you are in an Associate Degree program so that eliminates you.

Just go to college. Have a good time. Grow, mature, volunteer , try something new. And don’t take your premed prereqs at the community college. Med schools will want to see you excel in a university/college curriculum. You have lots of time. Slow down.
Thank you for the input, I hadn't realized that the associates would actually disqualify me from the specific program.

I'm actually not sure if this is the same with the University of Pennsylvania (Penn LPS Online), which is another program I was curious about. Do you think it would be a better idea to apply via regular admission? I am painfully aware that admission is quite brutal which in itself is an understatement.

Good lord, I'd need to dispose of your application with tongs.

@candbgirl is right. From age 18 to 25 your primary goal is to grow up. Go to college and work hard, socialize, make friends, date, do all the stuff that's associated with becoming a well-adjusted adult. Trying to worm your way into medical school through the (virtual) side door of an Ivy League school is not going to benefit you in the long run.
I appreciate your view on the matter, at this point I'm not too sure what would give me the best chances at ultimately getting into medical school. I am aware that this is the time that I should be focussing on growing up and finding out what interests me, socializing and making friends etc (I do these things and understand why they are important), at the same time though it worries me that medical school is as competitive at it is and I'd just like to give myself the best chances I can.

Edit: Also, I understand what you mean by trying to "worm" my way into medical school through an ivy league...
Although this is not my intention at all, I am just very aware that colleges of that caliber have and always will have extremely low acceptance rates.

Also you should be focused on getting a 4.0 in those CC classes now because they will show up on your med school transcript.

Also you should be focused on getting a 4.0 in those CC classes now because they will show up on your med school transcript.
Thanks for the advice! I've been doing fairly well in these classes I do have a couple of B's which affects my GPA, but not enough to do any damage on a med school transcript... probably.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the input, I hadn't realized that the associates would actually disqualify me from the specific program.

I'm actually not sure if this is the same with the University of Pennsylvania (Penn LPS Online), which is another program I was curious about. Do you think it would be a better idea to apply via regular admission? I am painfully aware that admission is quite brutal which in itself is an understatement.
There is a lot you haven’t realized yet. That’s why you need to slow down and figure stuff out.
I don’t know much about Harvard Extension. I know a few people who took a couple of classes during summers at Harvard Extension. It was convenient and they got the credits. I know nothing about Penn online. But generally you need to take at least your science and lab courses in person. And really you should want to go to a brick and mortar college just for the experiences and opportunities it provides.
And I’d be careful about being so cavalier about “ a couple of B's which affects my GPA, but not enough to do any damage on a med school transcript... probably.” Every grade is important . It’s not like high school. Bs are okay grades but as you accumulate other grades they all impact your college GPAs . Are you aware that all of the college courses you are taking in high school will be figured into your cGPA and sGPA when you finally apply to college?
Go enjoy your summer. Plan to apply to college and see where you land. Good luck..

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
No adcom wants to see an application from someone who got their Bachelors degree online. Period!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
These are not viewed as “Ivy League Schools” and would offer no prestige bump for admissions purposes.

Why not apply to Harvard, Penn, UVA, W&M (amongst others)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate your view on the matter, at this point I'm not too sure what would give me the best chances at ultimately getting into medical school.
Why not do what the vast majority of successful applicants do? Go to a brick and mortar undergrad, live in a dorm, get good grades, earn your Bachelors, and if you want or need more time before applying then plan for a gap year (or two).

We do see applicants (particularly from the UCs) who do 1-2 years at CC and then transition to a 4-year university. People coming through the military can have some interesting transcripts. And career changers often have to go back and do postbacc work. But these are the exceptions. The rule is a well-worn path: pick a college, go there, do well.

Reactions: 4 users
These are not viewed as “Ivy League Schools” and would offer no prestige bump for admissions purposes.

In addition to UVA, VCU and Virginia Tech both have associated medical schools, although Tech's is a little niche.

Reactions: 2 users
In addition to UVA, VCU and Virginia Tech both have associated medical schools, although Tech's is a little niche.
This is definitely true although I wouldn’t choose based on this because, at least during my interview day at VCU, there were more interviewees from UVA than VCU. Unsure if it’s different at VT

This is definitely true although I wouldn’t choose based on this because, at least during my interview day at VCU, there were more interviewees from UVA than VCU. Unsure if it’s different at VT
VCU: average SAT = 1165, acceptance rate 90.6%
UVA: average SAT = 1410, acceptance rate 22.6%

UVA is a smaller school, but it's a much bigger pond.

There is a lot you haven’t realized yet. That’s why you need to slow down and figure stuff out.
I don’t know much about Harvard Extension. I know a few people who took a couple of classes during summers at Harvard Extension. It was convenient and they got the credits. I know nothing about Penn online. But generally you need to take at least your science and lab courses in person. And really you should want to go to a brick and mortar college just for the experiences and opportunities it provides.
And I’d be careful about being so cavalier about “ a couple of B's which affects my GPA, but not enough to do any damage on a med school transcript... probably.” Every grade is important . It’s not like high school. Bs are okay grades but as you accumulate other grades they all impact your college GPAs . Are you aware that all of the college courses you are taking in high school will be figured into your cGPA and sGPA when you finally apply to college?
Go enjoy your summer. Plan to apply to college and see where you land. Good luck..
Thanks for the insight, I am aware that every course matters as does every grade. What I meant is the courses that I've taken, is I've gotten 2 B's one in English and one in History (A's in all the others) which I don't think negatively impacts me (I may be mistaken though).

W&M and UVA happen to be at the top of my list, I also plan to apply to VTech (I am very close to this school), Washington and Lee University, University of Richmond, James Madison, and VCU.

I understand what you mean... Generally speaking VT is more known for its engineering program and UVA for its associated medical school, a family member of mine has gone through UVA's interview process and she agrees that there are far more interviewees at UVA than VCU (she transferred).

Why not do what the vast majority of successful applicants do? Go to a brick and mortar undergrad, live in a dorm, get good grades, earn your Bachelors, and if you want or need more time before applying then plan for a gap year (or two).

We do see applicants (particularly from the UCs) who do 1-2 years at CC and then transition to a 4-year university. People coming through the military can have some interesting transcripts. And career changers often have to go back and do postbacc work. But these are the exceptions. The rule is a well-worn path: pick a college, go there, do well.
I truly appreciate the advice, originally this was the plan and I understand that this would be the best idea for me in the long run.