Should I Postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Patel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have been studying for the MCAT for past 2 months and I thought I had everything down. THen I decided to take the AAMC exam number 3 on Wednesday and I received a 22 (PS-9, BS-9, V-4).

Then I took AAMC number 4 today and got a 23 with a 5 in verbal and sciences stayed the same. After reviewing the exams, I made a lot of very stupid mistakes.

I went through the EK books and I have all the concepts down; I just haven't had any passage practice thus the bad scores (when I review the questions, its not content which is the issue, its the AAMC format which hurts). I am already very late in the cycle and don't want to change my date (taking it on August 20th). I have about 2 wks left.

When doing the EK 101 for verbal I was getting 8-9s. But when I do the AAMC, the passages are far worse and I can't concentrate on them. Are the real MCAT passages this boring? Am I doomed to do bad? I don't know what to do! I am aiming for 27+ and scoring 5+ points in 2 wks is difficult. Does anyone have any success stores of drastic improvements. I defiantly want to give it my all and take the exam but need some reassurance.

Should I postpone or is 2 wks enough to improve? I think the sciences are possible because its not my content which is an issue. How can I get more passage practice (I haven't done the EK 30 mins so I have them and I also have PR Science workbook). Thank you very much for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same problem as you. 10+ in the sciences but 4,5,6's on AAMC verbals. I am going to take either aamc #7 or #8 this week and if I don't get and 8 or higher, I will postpone my test till next jan since I am applying next cycle and focus on reading comprehension this semester, especially because I think that is my problem.

I would suggest the same for you. There is no sense in spending all this money in an application cycle, one in which you are already late, with a terrible verbal score. No offense. It just seems like a no brainer. It's hard to admit, and it was hard for me, but I am not doing myself any favors by taking a test in which I have a serious weakness in, albeit it is verbal.

Also, I am a Texas resident, and many of the med schools have accepted students with low verbals ( a rare 6, a few 7's) because they had high bio scores. I saw a study on it. But, if you are in cali, NY, or any of the other more competitive states, then I would DEF consider postponing an app cycle

I am from NJ and I turned in my primaries in a while ago and even received one secondary without MCAT (they just want to make money). So I defiantly do not want to pull out this cycle. But I understand your reasoning but I feel like I am in a position where I just want to give it my all.

Any advise about the scores? I just went over it and I made dumb mistakes on the PS (incorrect calculations or trying to do too much aka find the molar mass of things when they are already given in the passage, etc.). I hope with more practice I can improve on that aspect.

I wish you all the best. Go for it!!! Things have happened before. May the power of universe be with you.