Should I pursue an MD/PhD?

Started by alicedoc1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alicedoc1

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm wondering if I should pursue an MD/PhD? In undergrad I was a premed and majored in Neuroscience. I did some biochemistry research for 2 years (we didn't have a big Neuroscience dept so I didn't do any research in that field) and I now have a publication and presented my work multiple times. I really liked conducting research and I felt I was really good at it. I even got to do some of my research independently. However, I graduated with a 3.45 GPA. Because of that I am currently at Mount Sinai in the MSBS program. I am conducting research in Neuroscience and I really like what I am learning. I also very much enjoy what I am learning in my MSBS program. It's hard but I try my best in the program. I considered being an MD and pursuing research on the side. But I feel like it would be hard to implement research while studying in medical school and as a practicing physician I'd need to take a lot of time out to properly conduct research. And if I just pursued a PhD I wouldn't interact with patients as much, which I love doing.

Considering all of this I would like to pursue an MD/PhD but I am scared that my 3.45 uGPA will taint my application. I hope that my GPA at Mount Sinai can make up for this (I'm in my first semester so I don't have a GPA for that program yet). Would it be a good idea to pursue an MD/PhD and would my uGPA reduce my chances of getting in to a program?

*I also don't have an MCAT score yet I plan on taking it in 2021*

Thank you!