Jul 11, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi! I'm wondering if I should pursue an MD/PhD? In undergrad I was a premed and majored in Neuroscience. I did some biochemistry research for 2 years (we didn't have a big Neuroscience dept so I didn't do any research in that field) and I now have a publication and presented my work multiple times. I really liked conducting research and I felt I was really good at it. I even got to do some of my research independently. However, I graduated with a 3.45 GPA. Because of that I am currently at Mount Sinai in the MSBS program. I am conducting research in Neuroscience and I really like what I am learning. I also very much enjoy what I am learning in my MSBS program. It's hard but I try my best in the program. I considered being an MD and pursuing research on the side. But I feel like it would be hard to implement research while studying in medical school and as a practicing physician I'd need to take a lot of time out to properly conduct research. And if I just pursued a PhD I wouldn't interact with patients as much, which I love doing.

Considering all of this I would like to pursue an MD/PhD but I am scared that my 3.45 uGPA will taint my application. I hope that my GPA at Mount Sinai can make up for this (I'm in my first semester so I don't have a GPA for that program yet). Would it be a good idea to pursue an MD/PhD and would my uGPA reduce my chances of getting in to a program?

*I also don't have an MCAT score yet I plan on taking it in 2021*

Thank you!

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
  1. Medical Student
#1 most important thing for MD/PhD admissions is research experience and LORs from research mentors. In many ways, I felt the MD/PhD process to be more holistic than MD only. Stats are important, but are more likely to be forgiven given a strong research background and at least 1/2 of GPA/MCAT being "good enough". So score above a 515 on your MCAT and you should have a shot at programs given your experience.

Should you apply MD/PhD? Check out the physician scientist forum. Do you want to be a PI / have a primary research career? How do you think you will feel about being in training in some capacity until you are around ~40?

Only u can answer this part, but if you want to do it, a 3.45 is not a death sentence.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 11, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
#1 most important thing for MD/PhD admissions is research experience and LORs from research mentors. In many ways, I felt the MD/PhD process to be more holistic than MD only. Stats are important, but are more likely to be forgiven given a strong research background and at least 1/2 of GPA/MCAT being "good enough". So score above a 515 on your MCAT and you should have a shot at programs given your experience.

Should you apply MD/PhD? Check out the physician scientist forum. Do you want to be a PI / have a primary research career? How do you think you will feel about being in training in some capacity until you are around ~40?

Only u can answer this part, but if you want to do it, a 3.45 is not a death sentence.

Thank you so much for your response! Yeah I am very close to all my PIs on a personal level and feel as though they can give me good LOR.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads