Should I quit or finish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sar21leo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Wow, it's been a long time since I came here. Just wanted some advice if anyone has any (and I apologize in advance for such a long post).

I started grad school about 4 1/2 years ago (mental health counseling program) and was about halfway through when I got really sick. I had a couple of surgeries and took a leave of absence for about a year and a half. I went back last fall and I'm scheduled to graduate at the end of this year. A few issues have come up though:

1. I'm doing my second practicum this semester and I'm about 90% sure that I won't be able to get the required hours I need. I don't think that I can afford to take the class over again and I'm wondering if it would even be worth it at this point.

2. My scholarship is going to end after this summer. Unfortunately, I still have the fall semester left. I've been told that I've taken too long to complete my master's and that I'll have to petition for one more semester of student loans.

3. My scholarship requires me to work at specific sites for my final internship this fall and very few of them will pay you. The places that do pay require you to travel extensively. My 2005 Corolla thinks that is a terrible idea and has decided to start breaking down every few months since the latter half of 2018. I have secured an internship at a non-paying site that is on campus, though (which would solve the traveling issue, at least).

At this point, I am just completely over school. But I'm thinking that it would look pretty bad if I left 2 semesters before graduation. No luck with private scholarships; they've told me that they won't fund someone as far along as I am. If the university does give me the loans, then I could likely complete my internship and finish the degree. I'm just not sure if it's worth it at this point. I've done research the entire time I've been in the program so I know that I could get a research coordinator position if I left. Everyone I've spoken to has been on the side of, "Yes, definitely quit," or " Oh my God, you're so close! Don't stop!" It would be interesting to hear some objective opinions though. If you were in my position, would you quit or finish?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest that you finish so you can at least have the option of licensure as a clinician and more career flexibility rather than a bachelor’s degree plus “some graduate coursework” on your resume. That might end up being something you’d have to explain to future employers during job interviews if you don’t finish.

I’m always a fan of sticking through it if you’re close to finishing to keep as many options available as possible. The moment you walk away from the program, several career options will be closed to you.

If you have zero interest in clinical practice-related endeavors, I suppose it’s fine to leave and do research (you’ll be limited in terms of how much you can be promoted without a graduate degree, though, which also isn’t good). It would also beg the question why would you choose a clinical program in the first place if there’s no interest in practice?

Finishing the degree shows future employers that you have drive and determination, so again, I’d recommend finishing it if purely to boost your resume and have more career options.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, foreverbull! I think we're on the same page when it comes to trying to explain why I left to future employers. I think it would definitely give anyone pause to see that someone left when they were so close to finishing. I'd say I'm equally interested in research and clinical practice (though no longer interested in getting my Ph.D) so I'd be happy with a job related to either. I've got some more thinking to do but you definitely gave me some food for thought!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am of the "Oh my God, you're so close! Don't stop!" camp. You had sickness and surgeries get in the way at one point, but it sounds like you've been able to move past that. Now the main problem is just feeling "completely over school" and other more minor issues that you can find a way around (eg car troubles). I think you need to recall why you signed up for the program in the first place, and renew that passion. You may regret dropping out, but I highly doubt that you'd have any regrets about finishing.

Thanks, LookForZebras! I don't think I would regret finishing but I do think I'd regret taking out more student loans. But I also know that it's a small price to pay for a degree that could really open up a lot of doors for me.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
You're not the first that has had bad luck while in graduate school with life happening, but you're already so far into the program, what's an extra semester or two, or three? And internships/practicums usually don't pay at the Masters level, so it is what it is. Finish you're program, and get into the field. Student loans are just student loans, i'm sure you will be able to find a position that can help out with the loans, so there is that

Thanks, Salvador! To be completely honest, I disagree with the majority of your points but I appreciate everyone's viewpoint. Most of the sites that I would be required to work at actually do pay. I just can't take the chance that my car would break down in the middle of the road (and it already has done that multiple times) because frequent traveling is required for those sites. But I did find a site that doesn't pay that is on campus, so at least I know that I can finish if I can find some way to pay.

Also, taking out student loans is a big deal to me. I took out loans for undergrad and when I was on leave for my grad program, I saw just how incredibly difficult it was to come up with the monthly payment (even though I'm on the income-based repayment plan). And my salary for that position was higher than what I've been told I will earn after I graduate (I also have to work at specific sites because of my scholarship).

But I do agree that this degree has the potential to open doors for me afterwards in terms of salary. For that reason alone, it's probably worth taking out student loans so I can finish.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't stop. You'll regret it forever. I know things will be tough but it's only 1 more semester. If you finish, you have the option of licensure or a researcher coordinator at a higher salary because you have a master's. Also people who don't finish degrees get squiggle-eyed looks from people who did finish. I worked at a company where one of the managers proudly proclaimed himself "ABD" on his business cards. He was sixty-ish and all I could think of was how bad I would feel if I had to go through life as that all-but-dissertation guy. Especially working for a research institute.

Best wishes.

Don't stop. You'll regret it forever. I know things will be tough but it's only 1 more semester. If you finish, you have the option of licensure or a researcher coordinator at a higher salary because you have a master's. Also people who don't finish degrees get squiggle-eyed looks from people who did finish. I worked at a company where one of the managers proudly proclaimed himself "ABD" on his business cards. He was sixty-ish and all I could think of was how bad I would feel if I had to go through life as that all-but-dissertation guy. Especially working for a research institute.

Best wishes.

Yeah, don't be someone who is proud of ABD. "Yeah, I went to grad school and skipped out on the hardest part. I'm a badass."

I would like to take a slightly different route and really suggest that you take care of yourself at this point. Of course, if you have made the decision to continue and finish, may the force be with you. But don't let this one thing define you. Much strength to you!