Should I quit pursuing dentristry and become a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a BS in Biomedical Scinece GPA 3.2 and a MS in Bacteriology at UW-Madison with GPA 3.13. I worked in Industry for about 4 years. Applied to dental school for three cycles. I started a one year program hoping to improve my GPA and get accepted into a professional school. My GPA after will be 3.4!
My DAT ( took 2014) is average. TS: 20, AA :19, PAT: 19, Ochem: 18, Gchem: 19, Bio: 23, Math:15
I have about 150 hours of dental volunteering. and 50 hours of shadowing.
I have lots of student debt as of right now & I am 33 years old.

I LOVE dentristy. I am just getting really worried about what future holds and whether I will have a chance to actually become a dentist. I want to look at things more realistically since I don't have too much time to waste anymore.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been able to get interviews at all? Also did you apply to the 2013-2014 cycle really late (since you said you have applied 3 cycles but took the DAT in 2014)?

Don't give up if it is truly what you know you want to do. I am in a similar situation with debt accumulating and I can relate to now exploring other healthcare related schools/options. Seeing the debt add up is scary now! And also applying to schools is not cheap by any means...where all are you applying ?

I applied for three cycles since 2010. I haven't applied this year. And I never had an interview. Beacuse I wanted to complete this one year program and increase my GPA. I graduated in 2008 with BS and 2010 with MS. I had to take upper level courses again. I always applied to 7 -10 schools. It is really expensive. Midwestern, IL- LECOM, Utah, Minnesota, and etc.
I am glad you underatand my situation :(
I really have to get into my career path soon. I honesly do not want to go back to my old job in a lab and do it for 30 years after all these hard work. Between all the healthcare professions, I loved dentistry and pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go ahead with pharmacy, if I liked them both equally.

Did you use the same LORs and PS all 3 times that you applied?

Honestly that MS degree was completely unnecessary.

I honesly do not want to go back to my old job in a lab and do it for 30 years after all these hard work. Between all the healthcare professions, I loved dentistry and pharmacy.
:bored:

Have you shadowed a pharmacist?

Don't go the pharmacy route just because you think it will be easy to get in. Also, take a look at the state of the profession and make sure that's something you'd be okay with.

:bored:

Have you shadowed a pharmacist?

Yes. I had a part-time job in a pharmacy for a year (2006-2007) while I was in school for undergrad. I definitly like dentistry more than pharmacy and I believe I could be a very good dentist ( I enjoy operational/ surgical jobs). But if I don't get into dental school, I pick pharmacy over Research Assistant job. Pharmacy is my 2nd choice. But the job market is very saturated.

Honestly, what would you do If you were in my situation? Knowing Dentistry has a better future, but eveything depends on when I get in, which is hard to predict. Pharmacy is easier to get in, But job market is horrible. And I am a female who has to take care of herself ( No support).

Yeah I know people in pharmacy school that absolutely hate it and wish they never went, but they are almost done with their second year now so they feel might as well finish. I also know two people who got all As in classes, but got a B in a one class while in pharmacy school (2nd year) and now they will have to wait a whole extra year to finish because the school said a B was not passing!!! How crazy is that?!

Feel free to PM me if you want to communicate with each other as we are both non trads and likely at similar points in our dental/life path ! One thing I have noticed is it is always nice to talk to ppl who can actually relate to your situation! Not knocking other ppl on here but it is just different I feel when you have a 21 year old giving you their thoughts and opinions when they never had a full time job vs someone who has worked full time for a handful of years and decided to go back to school to "chase a dream"

I honestly dont think you should quit pursuing dentistry if it is something that you truly want to do and can see yourself enjoying for the rest of your career.

I, like you have applied several cycles. This in fact is my third cycle and I sometimes feel like I am hanging in there by a thread. Its up and down with my emotions and I suppose maybe youre having a thought filled emotional day thinking about the future. I look at it this way, Id rather live with a little more debt right now, than live with a bunch of regrets in the future.

Hang in there, I know things are expensive, but I've made up my mind to keep applying until I get what I want. I think you should focus on what is going to make your applications better in the future. Seek information from the schools on where and how you should improve.

Dont stop now, we need more dentists!!

Why not try studying to be a dental hygienist or an assistant if you prefer the dental field over pharmacy?
If not, to get into dental school you should probably spend more time shadowing; schools like to see commitment to the field in re-applicants. I'd also recommend retaking the DAT. A 15 on Math is too low for most schools; they expect a 17 at least.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I know people in pharmacy school that absolutely hate it and wish they never went, but they are almost done with their second year now so they feel might as well finish. I also know two people who got all As in classes, but got a B in a one class while in pharmacy school (2nd year) and now they will have to wait a whole extra year to finish because the school said a B was not passing!!! How crazy is that?!

Feel free to PM me if you want to communicate with each other as we are both non trads and likely at similar points in our dental/life path ! One thing I have noticed is it is always nice to talk to ppl who can actually relate to your situation! Not knocking other ppl on here but it is just different I feel when you have a 21 year old giving you their thoughts and opinions when they never had a full time job vs someone who has worked full time for a handful of years and decided to go back to school to "chase a dream"

Thanks for your encouraging words. I will pm you.

Have you considered nursing? It can be a really rewarding field and you can be a nurse in the operating room or something!

Why not try studying to be a dental hygienist or an assistant if you prefer the dental field over pharmacy?
If not, to get into dental school you should probably spend more time shadowing; schools like to see commitment to the field in re-applicants. I'd also recommend retaking the DAT. A 15 on Math is too low for most schools; they expect a 17 at least.

Because I have way more education than a dental assistant / hygenist degree would need ,and lots of educational loans that these jobs won't help me repay. If I want to change my career , I would want it to be more rewarding. I could work as a research associate and get paid more. ( Not, that I am after the money, But rather Growth).
However, I might get a dental assistant job for a year ( this July). Do you think that would improve my application?
& yes, I will be re-taking the DAT.

Have you considered nursing? It can be a really rewarding field and you can be a nurse in the operating room or something!

NO. I am not into that. :) Only 1) Dentistry, 2) Pharmacy , 3 ) My currect situation ( Research Associate Molecuale Biology field)
I will keep pursuing dentistry. I wanted this for a long time.

Raise your QR. I think a 15 is an automatic cut.

I would go ahead with pharmacy, if I liked them both equally.

Did you use the same LORs and PS all 3 times that you applied?

Honestly that MS degree was completely unnecessary.

Yes, I have used the same LOR's. I don't know who else to ask for LOR.
Years pass by fast and getting a new LOR gets harder specially from academic professors. That is one of my big concerns. How long can I ask them to write me a letter!!

Because I have way more education than a dental assistant / hygenist degree would need ,and lots of educational loans that these jobs won't help me repay. If I want to change my career , I would want it to be more rewarding. I could work as a research associate and get paid more. ( Not, that I am after the money, But rather Growth).
However, I might get a dental assistant job for a year ( this July). Do you think that would improve my application?
& yes, I will be re-taking the DAT.

I understand. If you're passionate about becoming a dentist, keep pursuing it! :)
A dental assistant job would definitely look good. In that case, I wouldn't worry about shadowing hours. Definitely re-take the DAT and then finish your app off with a quality personal statement. Put all your efforts into the next cycle you're applying to and you should get some interviews!

I understand. If you're passionate about becoming a dentist, keep pursuing it! :)
A dental assistant job would definitely look good. In that case, I wouldn't worry about shadowing hours. Definitely re-take the DAT and then finish your app off with a quality personal statement. Put all your efforts into the next cycle you're applying to and you should get some interviews!

it is wrong to sell false hope. she has 3.2 undergrad GPA and 3.2 master GPA. if I know correctly, a 3.2 undergrad GPA needs a 3.7 master GPA (higher inflation rate) and with above 20 across the DAT board you stand a chance.

do you look to do SMP? yea i know it is super expensive

it is wrong to sell false hope. she has 3.2 undergrad GPA and 3.2 master GPA. if I know correctly, a 3.2 undergrad GPA needs a 3.7 master GPA (higher inflation rate) and with above 20 across the DAT board you stand a chance.

do you look to do SMP? yea i know it is super expensive

Dent school apps aren't all about the numbers. Dental experience and rec letters can go a long way. As long as OP improves on the DAT I'd say they hit the min requirements.

and somehow older people come on SDN and mention they have full time jobs and experience the real world and hence their comments seem to hold more validation than 21 22 year old that just graduate college and are about to begin dental school.

Sorry but I know how being a research associate sucks. I used to work for free for almost 20 hrs a week for straight 2 years in undergrad in a lab doing experiments after experiments (to get a co authorship publication which I did) thus this plus my other part time job (also being a lab clean up person for 8 hrs a week) mean I almost work full time and I think with schools and other stuff, I have had it harder than the regular people who finish college, have a full time job, then come back to do post bach and claim the above. However, I know there are other people, in addition to what I did, they have to work (get paid) more so they can pay for school and expense.

our age does not mean our lack of experience and maturity. end of rant.

Dent school apps aren't all about the numbers. Dental experience and rec letters can go a long way. As long as OP improves on the DAT I'd say they hit the min requirements.

true that. but if you go over min requirements, you are more likely to increase your chance of admission. with how much each application cost, do you just want to hit the minimum requirements? numbers get you in the door but the min requirements get you in front of the door. The OP needs more than this (plus she/he is out of school for quite some time)

I know quite a few pharmacists and know this is not the majority. Most people think of pharmacists as pill counters (including myself until 1999). There is more to being pharmacist. My wife has been a pharmacist since 2002. She will occasionally do shifts at Costco to stay fresh in retail pharmacy, but spends her real job in a hospital setting as a clinical pharmacist which is totally different from being in retail. Plus, the hours and pay are great.

If you are worried about saturation, be willing to move from locations where there are pharmacy schools and there are plenty of jobs.

true that. but if you go over min requirements, you are more likely to increase your chance of admission. with how much each application cost, do you just want to hit the minimum requirements? numbers get you in the door but the min requirements get you in front of the door. The OP needs more than this (plus she/he is out of school for quite some time)
I am doing a one year pre-med graduate program. My GPA would be 3.4 at the end. Do I still have a chance?

I know quite a few pharmacists and know this is not the majority. Most people think of pharmacists as pill counters (including myself until 1999). There is more to being pharmacist. My wife has been a pharmacist since 2002. She will occasionally do shifts at Costco to stay fresh in retail pharmacy, but spends her real job in a hospital setting as a clinical pharmacist which is totally different from being in retail. Plus, the hours and pay are great.

If you are worried about saturation, be willing to move from locations where there are pharmacy schools and there are plenty of jobs.

Thank you for your comment. So there is jobs for pharmacists if there are willing to move to different states/ locations.

I am doing a one year pre-med graduate program. My GPA would be 3.4 at the end. Do I still have a chance?

is there something going on with your studying habit? why a 3.4? sorry but you should get 3.6-3.7. that means one B and the rest are A given a 4 courses per semester/quarter. dental school wants consistent/persistent academic track record.

Thank you for your comment. So there is jobs for pharmacists if there are willing to move to different states/ locations.

I am in the military. I have lived in Florida, Washington, Texas, Virginia and now California. My wife has never had a hard time finding a job.

is there something going on with your studying habit? why a 3.4? sorry but you should get 3.6-3.7. that means one B and the rest are A given a 4 courses per semester/quarter. dental school wants consistent/persistent academic track record.

The best I could do is a 3.5. :(
I am glad I did this program. Getting used to studying 24/7 after 4 years, was not quite easy at first.

Hi. I'm a nontraditional student with nearly a decade between undergrad and dental school. My interviewers emphasized my [dentally unrelated] post-college experiences as strengths in my application. This was not merely a happy coincidence. If you are serious about dentistry, you can and should use your age/other experiences to your advantage. Maintain your shadowing/volunteering, make it your mission to get 4.0s in your remaining courses, and find a way to frame your upward trend as the result of your conviction in the field.

Reactions: 1 users
If you really love dentistry, I wouldn't give up on it. You can get in with your GPA. You might be able to improve your chances with a better DAT score. For your GPA, you really should be aiming for 20+, with no section below 17. If you do that, and apply early in the cycle, I don't see why you couldn't get in. The thing is, it sounds like you really see yourself pursuing a career in dentistry whereas it sounds like you'd be settling with pharmacy.

Hi. I'm a nontraditional student with nearly a decade between undergrad and dental school. My interviewers emphasized my [dentally unrelated] post-college experiences as strengths in my application. This was not merely a happy coincidence. If you are serious about dentistry, you can and should use your age/other experiences to your advantage. Maintain your shadowing/volunteering, make it your mission to get 4.0s in your remaining courses, and find a way to frame your upward trend as the result of your conviction in the field.

This was so encouraging and nice to hear. Thank you so much for your comment.

If you really love dentistry, I wouldn't give up on it. You can get in with your GPA. You might be able to improve your chances with a better DAT score. For your GPA, you really should be aiming for 20+, with no section below 17. If you do that, and apply early in the cycle, I don't see why you couldn't get in. The thing is, it sounds like you really see yourself pursuing a career in dentistry whereas it sounds like you'd be settling with pharmacy.

Thanks. It is really true.

Yes, I have used the same LOR's. I don't know who else to ask for LOR.
Years pass by fast and getting a new LOR gets harder specially from academic professors. That is one of my big concerns. How long can I ask them to write me a letter!!
Some schools want new letters if you are a reapplicant. Not necessarily new faculty to write the letters, but new content (what you've been up to, etc). I know it must be hard considering you've been out of school. Something to think of though if possible.

Some schools want new letters if you are a reapplicant. Not necessarily new faculty to write the letters, but new content (what you've been up to, etc). I know it must be hard considering you've been out of school. Something to think of though if possible.
Yeah I had the same LORs professor wise, but changed my dentist I shadowed and had a former manager write one the second time around. It is a good point you made that they want to see "new content"

I'm a non traditional applicant who got into three schools this year (have been turning down interviews - consider myself done at this point!). I talk the hell out of my life experiences in my interviews and my interviewers always seemed really receptive towards it.

I skimmed through the other posts here so I apologize if I missed it, but what have your results typically been? Interviews? Waitlists? What about your school choices? Your GPA is a bit low and your QR may be too low. I would honestly focus more on the DAT than I would raising your GPA, especially because you already have a Masters. Killing the DAT would certainly help. I'm assuming you're applying early?

Next time around, I would also have a totally brand new PS and ask the people doing your LORs to change things up a bit.

Also apply broadly.

I currently have a BS in Biomedical Scinece GPA 3.2 and a MS in Bacteriology at UW-Madison with GPA 3.13. I worked in Industry for about 4 years. Applied to dental school for three cycles. I started a one year program hoping to improve my GPA and get accepted into a professional school. My GPA after will be 3.4!
My DAT ( took 2014) is average. TS: 20, AA :19, PAT: 19, Ochem: 18, Gchem: 19, Bio: 23, Math:15

I LOVE dentristy. I am just getting really worried about what future holds and whether I will have a chance to actually become a dentist. I want to look at things more realistically since I don't have too much time to waste anymore.

This time apply to 20 schools and you will get in
I recommend your state schools in addition to a lot of out of state friendly schools.
A 3.2 GPA is fine but I think your DAT is holding you back, retake and get a 21AA (shouldn't be hard just improve the math)

Do NOT go into pharmacy....... its literally the worst professional career out there.

This time apply to 20 schools and you will get in
I recommend your state schools in addition to a lot of out of state friendly schools.
A 3.2 GPA is fine but I think your DAT is holding you back, retake and get a 21AA (shouldn't be hard just improve the math)

Do NOT go into pharmacy....... its literally the worst professional career out there.

Thanks for your comment. I will work on my DAT.

:(

maybe post this in the pre-pharmacy forum and see what they say, I think its a little easier to get into pharm school

1. Get all A's in the rest of your graduate program.
2. Retake the DAT.
3. Have your personal statement proofread by professional and/or multiple people.
4. Get great LORs.
5. Apply broadly AND early.

There is nothing that is 100% certain in this world but if you do those, I can picture you getting at least one interview.

Good luck and NEVER give up on your dreams

I can relate to you a little because I am a non-traditional student applying for the second time. Even though it's only second time applying and I am already second guessing how good of an applicant I am. I can only imagine what's going through your mind.

First, I think my classes are way too old, so I am not even sure if I should ask them about retaking them just because it's too old (not because they are bad grades). If I did, I am sure I will do fine, but it's just time consuming and interferes with my full time work.

Second, I am 31 years old, so I am a lot older than most folks entering the dental school, so I sort of feel like "damn, I am the oldest of the bunch."

I did well on the DAT, but I have some questionable grades during my first semester and on second year. My GPA is not bad but mediocre at 3.45 ish, most likely not good enough to secure me a spot 100%.

Just like you, I am also thinking about what other things I can try if I don't get in. I am debating whether I should study for the DAT again and take it again because after this cycle, my old DAT score is no longer valid. I also thought about pharmacy because I heard it's a little easier to get in, but I also heard about market saturation and difficulty landing a job. I would also hate to be filling prescriptions all day long, or watch techs to everything while you play on my ipad.

I'd say take about 3~4 months to study DAT and kill it. I can't believe you didn't even receive an interview invite. Those stats are not bad at all. Math can be improved, but I've seen people get in with lower or similar QR.

Maybe have someone look at your personal statement and improve it.
Best of luck to you and me.
Don't give up yet.