Should I quit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dunkindog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What advice would you give an undergrad senior that has struggled mightily to get decent grades (~3.6gpa and 30 MCAT)? I'm applying to med school and I've had 2 interviews so far (1 more coming up) and I think that I'll probably get in this cycle. The problem is that in college I studied ALL THE TIME. I would have ~2 difficult science classes a semester and 2 easy/blow off classes. I would pretty much study 7 days a week for my hard classes. I'd listen to my lecture/take notes, memorize the concepts, and then review it everyday till the exam (exams every ~3 weeks). How the heck am I going to pass med school if I had to study soo much to get good grades (A's/B's) in 2 hard classes a semester?

One of my interviewers (LECOM-B) said that the students in trouble, in med school, are the ones studying 10+ hours a day and still struggling. He was suggesting that they simply hit their limit while those studying 2 hours a day can simply just study more.

Should I be worried about passing? I like FM/IM/psych if it matters.

Members don't see this ad.

You might not be studying in the most effective ways. I'd research good study habits, etc. If a lot of the tips you find are novel to you, try them out and see how they work for the rest of your semester.

Reactions: 4 users
You went through the trouble of applying, going to interviews, and now you're questioning whether you should quit? :bang:These are realizations you should have had before you spent all the time and money in this process.

Good thing is, if you change your habits, you'll most likely be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get into medical school, you're certainly capable of passing medical school. Adcoms are very good at preventing admission of people who won't be able to cut it. That said, it sounds like you need to tweak your study habits. Either way, work on your confidence!

Ben Carson almost flunked out of med school, but he kept faith and turned out to be one of the best neurosurgeons around. My point is, never give up, NEVER.

Reactions: 1 users
You went through the trouble of applying, going to interviews, and now you're questioning whether you should quit? :bang:These are realizations you should have had before you spent all the time and money in this process.

Good thing is, if you change your habits, you'll most likely be fine.

It is late, but I've known people that went much deeper than me and then quit.

understand that in medical school, it is not so much the concept that you may encounter like in undergrad "tough" courses that gets you but the volume. So as long as you maintain your time well and choose a school that does pass/fail system, I think you just have to keep faith and chug along. Otherwise, this is the perfect moment where you can potentially opt out of medical school and just go pharm or another specialty that can be fun and done with after you graduate (unlike medical school where the tests never end).

While a positive outlook is best, 2 IIs doesn't bode well for an acceptance.

That being said, your study habits in undergrad are, from what I hear at all med schools, not going to work for med school. Who knows? Maybe you'll find it easier, or at least less time consuming?

Reactions: 1 users
While a positive outlook is best, 2 IIs doesn't bode well for an acceptance.

Well I applied in December (very late) and like I said I have 3 invites (2 completed). If it matters I did get As in orgo, biochem, physics 2, and most my bio classes...I just studied all day to do it.

prevailing wisdom is that med school is higher volume but complexity isn't much worse than undergrad. So the question for you is do you struggle more with seriously complex courses (like biochemistry maybe?) or with the high volume courses (anatomy/physiology)?

.... You applied in December?!

prevailing wisdom is that med school is higher volume but complexity isn't much worse than undergrad. So the question for you is do you struggle more with seriously complex courses (like biochemistry maybe?) or with the high volume courses (anatomy/physiology)?

Probably more the conceptual parts for me. It takes me time to understand concepts which is why gen chem, physics, and calc were my hardest classes. Bio has some concepts but once I learn those Im good which is why I was able to get mostly As in bio.

Probably more the conceptual parts for me. It takes me time to understand concepts which is why gen chem, physics, and calc were my hardest classes. Bio has some concepts but once I learn those Im good which is why I was able to get mostly As in bio.

As a not-yet-med-student I'd imagine that's the better boat to be in...in any case LECOM-B is notorious for talking about how much hard work and dedication and crap they require of their students. Don't take it personally, I think it's just their "thing".

Concepts in medicine tend to be more intuitive than things happening on a molecular and submolecular level, for the most part.

Last edited:
Tons of 3.4/28 people got their MD degree from LECOM-B, and you have a 3.6/30.

Thanks Mad Jack! Can you describe some of these strategies?
They differ by person. Everyone sort of throws things at the wall and sees what sticks for them. Some people go to lecture, others don't. Some people watch lectures while taking notes in FA, others don't. Some people read the higher yield books we have assigned, others don't. It's really about learning what works best for you, and it's really a process of trial and error more than anything.

A 30 on the MCAT indicates reasoning skills, working memory, critical thinking skills etc that are clearly above the average DO matriculant within a fine range for an MD matriculant.

https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf

The truth of the matter is the overwhelming majority of 3.0/25 people who enter MD programs will graduate and the solid majority will pass Step 1 on their first attempt and the like(basically never be in serious danger of flunking out). This is a big reason why policies like affirmative action can exist. Hell as long as you hit 27 on the MCAT, any group of people with over a 3.2 GPA passes Step 1 on their first attempt with at least 90% success.

None of this is to say medical school is easy or your goal in anyway should be to merely "pass" Step 1. But the fact of the matter is, if you are accepted by and large your abilities are sufficient to get you through. The fact of the matter is if you are capable of hitting 30 on the MCAT and you truly are having to study many hours every day just to get a 3.6, that's much more indicative of poor studying techniques than it is lack of ability to absorb and handle material.

Reactions: 1 user