should I rank the program on probation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urology lover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an IMG and I'm going to submit my preference list for urology match. However I have a question:
I was interviewed by a program which is on probation, the next reviewing date for probation is April, 2007. If I rank this program and be accepted by this program, where will I go if this program can not get rid of probation? Will I finish the PGY-1 in their hospital? Is the program obligated to send me to another urology program?
Thank you very much for your kind help!

Members don't see this ad.

Please help! Any information will be appreciated. The deadline is coming. I am so anxious. :(

Yes. Rank the program. They will let you AT LEAST finish out your PGY-1 year and likely help to find you a place, if they have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the program loses it's accreditation, they will help you find another program. I met several residents on the interview trail who had changed programs, some due to programs closing, some for other reasons. The ones who leave for other reasons leave spots that can only be filled by someone who is at their level of training, which means that once you have a year or two of urology years (not your prelim general surgery training), you can move laterally if you need to.

Think of it this way, would you rather go there (assuming you are ranking it last due to your concerns about their status), or not match in Urology at all?

BTW, you would be better off looking at urologymatch.com, that's where most the urology applicants post, rather than SDN. Good luck.

Paean and Cytoskelement, thank you very much for opinions and suggestions! Very helpful to me. I really appreciate you. Happy New Year!