should I rank this program high ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AGK821199999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello FM fellows,
I need your input ranking some programs, so I have family in my current state and I'm a family guy who would rather to stay close to my family however, if I HAVE to move, I'll. There is a program which is located really close to where my family lives and also close to where I want to live. The hospital is amazing with great resources however, it is a few years old program. PD and the associate are both Caribbean grads with 70% of current residents from the same school. I have no problems with Caribbean grads however, I get competitive vibes from them as a med stud or during my interviews. Some of them act as if they are trying to prove to me that they are good docs and try to ask me questions to proof that they know more. I actually dont want/ dont need them to prove anything! but I dont like this kind of vibes. During my interview, the PD asked me clinical questions saying that they have to do so as they dont trust medical schools (for real ? ) or board scores ! I got many interviews however, I love the location and the hospital is really fancy so I need your input please, thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

That would get old quick. Obviously, they will always be trying to put you down and the animosity will be there. It would suck to deal with for three years, and personally, I wouldn’t rank them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think fit is one of the most important, if not the absolute most important thing to consider when ranking. So no I wouldn’t rank this program if you have enough interviews that you’ll likely match.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like they have an inferiority complex, which means it's probably justified. Avoid.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello FM fellows,
I need your input ranking some programs, so I have family in my current state and I'm a family guy who would rather to stay close to my family however, if I HAVE to move, I'll. There is a program which is located really close to where my family lives and also close to where I want to live. The hospital is amazing with great resources however, it is a few years old program. PD and the associate are both Caribbean grads with 70% of current residents from the same school. I have no problems with Caribbean grads however, I get competitive vibes from them as a med stud or during my interviews. Some of them act as if they are trying to prove to me that they are good docs and try to ask me questions to proof that they know more. I actually dont want/ dont need them to prove anything! but I dont like this kind of vibes. During my interview, the PD asked me clinical questions saying that they have to do so as they dont trust medical schools (for real ? ) or board scores ! I got many interviews however, I love the location and the hospital is really fancy so I need your input please, thanks :)

That **** is poor form.
One program did that to me back in the day, I didn't rank them. U of Minn St. Cloud. Interestingly, I didn't rank them because of this non-sense, funny how it irked me so much so that I still remember them for this.

Go elsewhere, bottom line. It says a lot about the program dynamics in general, and probably doesn't cultivate a good learning environment.

Thanks a lot everybody. I really appreciate all your help :)

Definitely rank this program. Just rank it last.
The idea of not ranking means you would rather go unmatched, and never be a doctor - than go to that program.

Vibes are the most important thing in an interview; If you don't get positive vibes or get red flags (the fact they ask you clinical questions), pretty much translates to the program is not meant for you. Do not rank/rank low. This is your life, don't wanna go to a program you'll be miserable at. No offense to IMG's, but I think I would feel a bit hesitant of a program if it was 70% IMG

Vibes are the most important thing in an interview; If you don't get positive vibes or get red flags (the fact they ask you clinical questions), pretty much translates to the program is not meant for you. Do not rank/rank low. This is your life, don't wanna go to a program you'll be miserable at. No offense to IMG's, but I think I would feel a bit hesitant of a program if it was 70% IMG

For real. I was hesitant as well. I got an interview at a place where all but one was an IMG, the other was a DO. Hate to say it, but much of the time there is a reason for that...

One of my higher choices is mostly IMG, but I think it has to do with it being brand new and nobody really was sure about it yet.