Should I re-apply or wait another year HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dordumd

Reaction score
I applied last cycle to 17 schools got 3ii, 2WL, and 1R. I am considering re-applying this cycle but I am not sure if I have anything substantial to add.

Here's what I applied with:
ORM-but a refugee (which is an enigma for me tbh) , TX resident, Biochem major w/ business minor
STATS: cGPA 3.84, sGPA 3.76, MCAT 510 (128,127,129,126)
shadowing 100hrs (all in same department)
research 800hrs (2labs no publications)
community service 120hrs (various activities but with same org)
clinical volunteer 140hrs
and a couple of leadership/leisure activities

Honestly, nothing much has changed since which is why I am worried. So if I re-apply the new things I would add would be
6 months of employment (clinical setting)
more research (working on a publication but it is not submitted yet)
also getting trained for a leadership role in my research (still not official though)
got to shadow in orthopedics-went like 3 times then corona hit :(
a side project I had planned was released
got into a masters in finance program

So here's the thing, I spoke to one of the schools that rejected me and one of the things they mentioned is how I didn't group my community service together (makes sense-mistake on my part so I would change that).

Also, I got a few comments on my interview about shadowing in one department which is why I tried to get shadowing in a new one- I live in a big city with a ton of premeds so it took forever- then corona happened so obviously hospital volunteer was suspended.

As for the masters, I feel like it might look like I am all over the place with activities but I had a business minor and I want to get an MBA eventually so I thought this would be a good use for the extra gap year.

So two questions really:
1- Should I re-apply this cycle or wait out another one? I am worried that I won't be able to get more clinical experience since corona has most activities canceled. (I was in the middle of getting an MA position but the clinic had to suspend hiring because of the situation)
2- My parents are pushing me to use a medical school application service. Now I am lucky enough that they said they would pay for it but I just don't know if the price really matches the services they provide. I don't want to overwhelm my parents; it is too expensive and I intend to mostly focus on TMDSAS schools- which means the application fees are wayyy lower than the service. But also I don't know if I should take advantage of the fact that my parents offered.

HELPPPPPP I am so lost

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine to reapply again. Apply to all your Texas MD schools and include the new University of Houston school. I suggest these AMCAS schools:
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Where are you on the waitlist out of state ?
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)

Reactions: 1 user
You are fine to reapply again. Apply to all your Texas MD schools and include the new University of Houston school. I suggest these AMCAS schools:
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Where are you on the waitlist out of state ?
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
I am on waitlist at Mayo Clinic out of state. What is your opinion on using an application service?

I am unfamiliar with application services. If you are not accepted off the waitlist reapply to both Mayo schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there, not sure if you have made a decision yet but I had similar stats to yours although I’m not from Texas. I didn’t gain admission my first time applying and my parents also wanted me to use a service...I was reluctant at first but the service did have great advice. I took a year before reapplying because I also felt my application had not changed much since my initial app. Taking time off and reapplying is not glamorous but I had a successful cycle so it paid off. Hope this helps! Good luck!

+1 for applying non-consecutive cycles. Unfamiliar with application services as well.

My worry is that, to me, your app this time around doesn't look significantly different. You added some clinical employment, that's good, did people give you feed back that you had too little clinical exposure?

Would also recommend adding more volunteering hours preferably in underserved settings.

MCAT wise a 510 doesn't usually warrant a retake but as an ORM.. its in a gray area.