Should I re-apply?

Started by fromcanada
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fromcanada

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm from Canada and I applied to US schools really late this year (AADSAS mailed to schools on 12/20). I only got accepted into NYU and BU. I haven't heard back from UofP, UofPenn, Case but I figure that it's probably too late in the game (only applied to a few schools that I believe are Canadian-friendly). I like NYU when I interviewed there except 1) big class size 2) $$$ tuition. BU is better in terms of class size but it's not my top choice since it's still pretty expensive and not as clinically strong as some of the other schools out there.

I was trying to decide between NYU and BU for a while now and still don't know which one I should attend. So I was wondering if I should apply again considering my stats are quite good (cDAT: 22PAT 24Chem 24Bio 24RC; BCP GPA: 3.79). However, I'm worried abt the possible negative consequences of turning down acceptances. But if I do decide to apply again, I will definitely want to apply to UofP again and UDM, as well as other cheaper public schools that have a good number of OOS seats.

Any help/comments would be appreciated! Thanks!
 
It will be ridiculous to re-apply after you get accepted somewhere but hey, go ahead.. you will definitely give someone else a seat!!
If you are trying to save money, then calculate how much you will be lossing by graduating a year later???
If I was you, I will go to BU. Good luck on your decision
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Financially speaking, you'll have to find a school that is cheaper than NYU or BU by ($160k - your_salary_this_year), to come out ahead. I don't think that's possible for an international student. There is also the question of whether NYU, BU, or any other school will take you once you've snubbed some school. I honestly do not know the answer to that, but I have been told it's a big faux pas.
 
Dental school admissions is getting really competitive every year. You do have a great stats but you never know what it's like to apply next year. And I'm pretty sure you don't necessarily pay in-state rate as a Canadian student attending state schools. I'd just go to BU if I were ya.