Should I re-apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ffknack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have applied applied during the 2008-2009 cycle and unfortunately did not get in. I am confused on what I should do - whether to reapply this summer (even though it's already end of June) or to try to buff up my credentials (though, I am not sure how to approach this) and apply next year.

When applying, here were my stats:
School: Top 5 university (C/O '08)
GPA: 3.5 (overall = bcpm = major [bioengineering])
MCAT: 1. 13P;9B;7V
2. 12P;10B;9V
Extracurriculars: few shadowing experiences, non-health care activities, little bit of non-health volunteer
Personal Statement: was so-so. nothing outstanding IMO
Interviews: pretty good (imho)

During the app cycle, I had a professional job at a pharma company with a decent salary.

I have no idea what to do at this point. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have applied applied during the 2008-2009 cycle and unfortunately did not get in. I am confused on what I should do - whether to reapply this summer (even though it's already end of June) or to try to buff up my credentials (though, I am not sure how to approach this) and apply next year.

When applying, here were my stats:
School: Top 5 university (C/O '08)
GPA: 3.5 (overall = bcom = major [bioengineering])
MCAT: 1. 13P;9B;7V
2. 12P;10B;9V
Extracurriculars: few shadowing experiences, non-health care activities, little bit of non-health volunteer
Personal Statement: was so-so. nothing outstanding IMO
Interviews: pretty good (imho)

During the app cycle, I had a professional job at a pharma company with a decent salary.

I have no idea what to do at this point. Any advice?
yes, reapply

Seems like a weakness in your application is your lack of healthcare-related volunteer experiences. Although you have shadowed doctors, you really need some kind of direct patient contact. Perhaps try to find a hospital volunteer position.

And if your PS was just "so-so", make sure it's amazing this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider your school choices? Did you pick with your head or your heart? I think that sometimes applicants lead with where they want to go regardless of the fact that they might not really have the numbers to be competitive. How broadly did you apply?

Best of luck!

Should I try to re-take the MCATs?

I've already taken it twice so I'm not sure if it's frowned upon to take it a third time.