Should I re-take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great thread because this has been driving me crazy. I took the MCAT in September for the first time and scored a 30 O (9-V 10-P 11-B) and my first reaction was to retake. However, looking at my limited time to study and the possibility that I could get a lower/same score I am starting to rethink. I spent all of last summer doing nothing but studying, but now with class, lab and an internship I don't feel like I will be able to commit nearly the same amount of time and effort. Any suggestions?!?! Should I wait till the summer and do it all again, or just apply in June with my 30. My GPA sits at a 3.42 but should go up by the time I graduate this year. HELP!!!

It depends on where you would like to get into med school. If you're thinking D.O. then don't worry about it. If you're thinking state school M.D. then you are borderline. If you're thinking top 20 then you better retake (aim 35+) and hope the GPA gets up at least .1-.15. With your GPA being a little below average for M.D., and assuming that's the route you are looking at, I would say retake, but don't slack with the studying. Like was posted above, use the chance of receiving a lower score as motivation for succeeding on the next MCAT. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 24Q(7/9/8) on my 1st try a year ago...then I got a 27P my 2nd go around(11/6/10). I'm currently doing a postbacc program. My Undergrad GPA was 2.85. I'm debating whether bother retaking because, my VR was once up to a 9 while my other two scores went up just liked I wanted. Because if they take your highest...I'm at a 30Q (I think)?