Should I reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Choboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied last cycle to 8 schools (NYMC, Hershey, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, Creighton, Albany, Loyola). I got interviews and wait listed at Hershey, Jefferson, and NYMC. At the time my cGPA was 3.6 and sGPA was 3.43. I also submitted my primary in late August and had my secondaries in by mid-October.

I really want to apply again this cycle in June and I have gotten my cGPA to 3.71 and sGPA to 3.57. My ECs are basically the same: 2 years of research, 1 year of ER volunteering, 2 club officer positions, shadowing for ~40 hours, etc.

I have taken the MCAT twice. The first time I got a 27R (8B, 9P, 10 R) and the second time I got a 34Q (12B, 11P, 11R). The first test was in May and the second one was mid-August, its the main reason I applied later.

I am definitely applying to more schools this cycle and earlier but I was wondering how many schools I should apply to. I was thinking of ~15-20 MD and about 5 DO schools. I was thinking if this would be too little or if I did not have enough significant change to improve my chances at a reapplication.

I have Pennsylvania residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers and Ecs are solid and now that this time you're applying early, you shoudl be a shoo-in for multiple acceptances. The number of schools you're thinking of seem fine. Definite;y apply to ALL schools in PA, and those surrounding as well. Aim high.

So I applied last cycle to 8 schools (NYMC, Hershey, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, Creighton, Albany, Loyola). I got interviews and wait listed at Hershey, Jefferson, and NYMC. At the time my cGPA was 3.6 and sGPA was 3.43. I also submitted my primary in late August and had my secondaries in by mid-October.

I really want to apply again this cycle in June and I have gotten my cGPA to 3.71 and sGPA to 3.57. My ECs are basically the same: 2 years of research, 1 year of ER volunteering, 2 club officer positions, shadowing for ~40 hours, etc.

I have taken the MCAT twice. The first time I got a 27R (8B, 9P, 10 R) and the second time I got a 34Q (12B, 11P, 11R). The first test was in May and the second one was mid-August, its the main reason I applied later.

I am definitely applying to more schools this cycle and earlier but I was wondering how many schools I should apply to. I was thinking of ~15-20 MD and about 5 DO schools. I was thinking if this would be too little or if I did not have enough significant change to improve my chances at a reapplication.

I have Pennsylvania residency.

I agree, you will be fine if you get everything in early (turn those secondaries around quick) and apply more broadly (20 schools is probably enough, 25 would be better if your pocketbook can afford it).

The fact that you were waitlisted at a few schools makes me think that they just didn't have spots left for you by the time you interviewed. In the same vein: if you are still on those waitlists, I would hit them with a LOT of interest and you may have a shot at 2017 as a last-minute acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the fact that you got interviews shows that your application is solid enough to get you in- maybe brush up on your interviewing skills and apply earlier and broader and I think you'll have better luck this time around

Is it common to refer to Penn State as Hershey? People outside the area will recognize Penn State as a school and Hershey as a chocolate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD