Should I reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HereForThisThread

Reaction score
I am a Texas resident who applied last cycle with a 3.4 uGPA and 3.3 sGPA. Disclaimer: I took 6 dual-credit courses in high school and got half B’s and half C’s and truly wrecked my application GPA because of it. I have a 3.7 and 3.6 at my actual 4-year institution. But I received no interviews applying to all Texas schools only. I was lacking in volunteering(only several hours here and there without anything consistent) and had no medical experiences except for shadowing an anesthesiologist for about 100 hrs who I have a strong relationship with and wrote a LOR. My undergrad life has been run by research. I have well over 1000 hours of protein purification/crystallography from an original research group I worked in, a summer research fellowship at UT Southwestern, and currently work in a cancer research lab with a focus in structural biochemistry.
Now, I have agreed with my advisors and current PI that it’s best for me to get a job scribing during my gap year and continue volunteering with a youth mentoring program I started working with after applying, but I really need extra opinions on whether I should retake. I got the score I did with only about a month and a half of hardcore studying, never taking a psychology, sociology, physiology, microbiology, or Biochem II course. I also had to guess on 5 bio/Biochem section questions because my timing got jacked up. Everything points to a retake in my opinion but I’ve heard retaking a 508 at any point is too risky unless you’re next level talented. Any perspectives welcome. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.