should i reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msu08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay so i just took the DAT for the third and final time. My scores today:

PAT: 17
QR: 15
RC: 21
BIO: 18
GC: 18
OC: 17
total science: 18
AA: 18

my scores stayed the same except for PAT: 19 on my second time, (15 my first time) QR(16 my 2nd time, 15 my first, this is what i wanted to raise) RC (18 2nd time and 19 my first). I feel my scores dropping/staying the same looks absolutely terrible!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do. I'm really considering not reapplying. I still haven't been rejected from U of D, I know they were waiting for these retake scores, so now that's pretty much out too :( I have a 3.4 GPA and I got my degree in nutrition(although i"ve taken like every science class possible, neuro, eukaryotic cell biology, biochem, micro, physio, anatomy and this year i'm finishing up a degree in human biology, taking histo, comparative anatomy and some other sciences. I was planning on going to this weekend seminar at UNLV next week, but I really feel it's a waste if I get crappy scores like that. I"m so embarassed to be even applying! Should I reapply?! Last year I interviewed at Indiana. My backup is hygiene school because I just like teeth so much :) Suggestions? Amazing acceptance stories? I just so upset, I obviously can't raise my scores, and that's fine, I just don't know if it is worth reapplying. Am I competitive anywhere? Thanks anyone for reading. Sorry it's a ramble :) !

Members don't see this ad.

Sure y not..got nothing to loose but $$...
i would if i was in ur situation

I think you should definitely reapply if you can afford to do so.

You may not have the best numbers out of the applicants, but at least in my mind you've shown that you're committed to the profession and are dedicated enough. I think that should set you apart in the eyes of some schools, so yea, I definitely think it's worth a shot.

Best of luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man

I feel like you and i are in the same situation. Im retaking the dat in july but i feel like i cant do any better. Ive boughten all the best test preps and i still dont think i can get better scores. I had similar scores to you. I applied this year, got waitlisted at a few schools. Who knows if we should re apply? Do you really want it? I think if you show you want it then schools will see it. Are all other aspects of your application pretty good? I worked a ton on my personal statement, i wanted to stand out.

Good luck man, hopefully you get in.

def. reapply. You took the DAT 3 times! which shows commitment and I'm sure the adcoms will appreciate that.

You had an interview last year, and since a year has past by and your other stats have improved so I would say you should be able to get few more interviews. :thumbup:

Did Indiana ask you to re-take the DAT?

it shows a lot of commitment. I agree that a lot of adcoms will like that. drop them an email or call them to let them know how interested you are.

U of Detroit asked me to take it again. They basically just wanted me to raise my QR score 1 point(16). i just a 15 this time so thats just fantastic :) eh math

my scores stayed the same except for PAT: 19 on my second time, (15 my first time) QR(16 my 2nd time, 15 my first, this is what i wanted to raise) RC (18 2nd time and 19 my first). I feel my scores dropping/staying the same looks absolutely terrible!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do. I'm really considering not reapplying. I still haven't been rejected from U of D, I know they were waiting for these retake scores, so now that's pretty much out too :( I have a 3.4 GPA and I got my degree in nutrition(although i"ve taken like every science class possible, neuro, eukaryotic cell biology, biochem, micro, physio, anatomy and this year i'm finishing up a degree in human biology, taking histo, comparative anatomy and some other sciences. I was planning on going to this weekend seminar at UNLV next week, but I really feel it's a waste if I get crappy scores like that. I"m so embarassed to be even applying! Should I reapply?! Last year I interviewed at Indiana. My backup is hygiene school because I just like teeth so much :) Suggestions? Amazing acceptance stories? I just so upset, I obviously can't raise my scores, and that's fine, I just don't know if it is worth reapplying. Am I competitive anywhere? Thanks anyone for reading. Sorry it's a ramble :) !

Are you from Michigan State? If you were able to 3.0-4.0 biochem, cell bio, *didnt even kno they offerend neuro*, physio, and histology, then the dat should've been as easy as pie... Just spend 1/4th the amount of time you studied for physio I and II into studying for the DAT science and you should get 21+ across the board...

I understand how you feel, this is my 4th time applying to dental school. BUT DON'T GET DISCOURAGED. If you really want it then keep trying. Hey you could even get a masters and reapply. (I'm trying to get mine in nutrition). I'm also going to UNLV sim clinic next weekend. If I were you I would still go, because you already dropped 200 on the class, plus I'm sure you already paid for you flight and hotel, so why not go. Hey, maybe actually getting to sit down with the drill and actually doing something with it might inspire you to continue. Sometimes the best things in life are the hardest to achieve.

Hey, maybe actually getting to sit down with the drill and actually doing something with it might inspire you to continue. Sometimes the best things in life are the hardest to achieve.

Truer words have never been spoken. :)

Using an incredibly over-used and therefore meaningless Nemo cliche, "Just keep swimming!"