Should I release Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VersedSTAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in a bit of a predicament.

DO applying to Anesthesia. Step 1 224. Just got Step 2 back and its 228. Got some research but nothing published. Top 50% of class. Plenty of extracurriculars.

Applied to 70+ Anesthesia programs. Have 5 interviews so far but none at my top programs.

Should I release my step 2 score? I'm really debating not releasing it because it is below the national avg of 233 and I'm worried that it's going to weaken my application.

Members don't see this ad.

I think if anything it would be neutral to positive. You improved and got it done out of the way, didn't bomb it etc.

Plus what do you have to lose?

I think if anything it would be neutral to positive. You improved and got it done out of the way, didn't bomb it etc.

Plus what do you have to lose?

Well my whole reasoning behind it was because the two tests are on a graded on a different scale, that I actually did NOT improve on the step 2.

Also, are there programs that don't interview/rank if there is no step 2 score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my whole reasoning behind it was because the two tests are on a graded on a different scale, that I actually did NOT improve on the step 2.

Also, are there programs that don't interview/rank if there is no step 2 score?

Most programs will interview you without it. But a lot of programs won't rank. There's a thread somewhere around here I believe.

I'd say just release it.

I might be wrong but I think you might be required to release it. That is what I was told by my school when I was thinking about taking USMLE