Should I reschedule DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiba1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding whether I should reschedule my DAT. I'm supposed to take it this Thursday. I'm in the final semester of my master's program and with midterms last week, I probably have only squeezed in about a week or two worth of studying.

At this point I'm crapping my pants because I have not reviewed any O Chem, PAT, nor RC. I spent 2 whole days reviewing Gen Chem. QR and Biology are about the only sections I feel pretty confident in. It has probably been 7-8 years since I last took O chem and Gen chem so I desperately need the review.

Now, I know it seems obvious I should reschedule seeing that I'm so unprepared. My issue is that with it being so late in the year already and some schools that I'm applying to have a Nov. 1 deadline for all scores to be submitted, should I just go ahead and take it so that I have scores to submit by Nov. 1? I'll just plan on retaking in January and hope that I can still submit new scores then. I realize that if I take it tomorrow, I won't be able to get 20+ scores that I'm hoping for.

OR should I just reschedule for a couple weeks out, accepting the fact that I wasted money on those schools, and hope I will get a higher score with two more weeks of preparation?
I know I'm in a really bad situation for this application cycle (it was really hard for me to get things done with school and work) but thought I'd be ok, and ended up overextending myself.
I'm really leaning towards rescheduling as I'm typing this out, but any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're set on throwing your hat in the ring for this cycle it might depend on your GPA a bit. If you've got a 3.8 maybe you can squeak by on an 18 or even get lucky with a seventeen. If you're rolling with a 3.2 you might want to delay the exam.

I think it's too late for this cycle and that you'd do more harm (and waste application $ and DAT $) by rushing DAT and having to retake. I'm a 3rd yr in DS so it's been a few yrs but TOPSCORE pro DAT software was the best predictor of scores at the time ( not best to prepare with). It's available in instant download and is cheap. If you're not happy with your score on a full length test on TOPSCORE I'd reschedule.

The test is tomorrow and you hadn't reviewed entire sections you first studied 8 years ago. You cannot take this test. You will do poorly and waste the entire cycle. It's incredibly late already, but you have to give yourself more time. I would push it out 2-3 weeks.