Should I retake? 410 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scarletrose1041

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1780371956423.png


Hello, this is my recent DAT score... I'm in a bit of a dilemma if I should retake the DAT. I was actually really surprised with this score because I was getting less than 370s in my practice tests (Rarely got above 400s) but I decided to just shoot my shot. So it's actually a blessing I even got above 400. I have a gpa of 3.76 (I don't know my science gpa), currently in my gap year -- various extracurriculars, and dental assistant experience (2 years). My volunteer hours is a bit low ( maybe around 100 hours).

I plan to apply broadly, schools that are known to consider holistically (LECOM, UNE, Temple, Howard ...) but my top school is maybe considered a reach with this DAT score (UMD). Is it worth retaking the exam? If I do -- I'm considering a late July retake, giving me about 2 months to lock in.
 
ADEA's DSE is still using two-digit scores. I hope at some point, the three-digit scores will be posted. As it stands, a 410 is equivalent to a 19. 430's across the board is equivalent to 20's across the board (except RC which would be a 22).

What is your state of residence? Howard is ideal if you are historically underserved or grew up in a community that is majority historically underserved and underresourced.
 
ADEA's DSE is still using two-digit scores. I hope at some point, the three-digit scores will be posted. As it stands, a 410 is equivalent to a 19. 430's across the board is equivalent to 20's across the board (except RC which would be a 22).

What is your state of residence? Howard is ideal if you are historically underserved or grew up in a community that is majority historically underserved and underresourced.

Hello! I'm from DC and I did grow up in an underserved community with an immigrant background. I'm also part of an ethnic minority group (according to the NIH...). Being a resident of DC also makes me an OOS student, so no advantages for in-state benefits.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I'm from DC and I did grow up in an underserved community with an immigrant background. I'm also part of an ethnic minority group (according to the NIH...). Being a resident of DC also makes me an OOS student, so no advantages for in-state benefits.
That makes sense. I would include Meharry if you have Howard.

I encourage you to calculate your science and BCP GPA.

Did you attend the ADEA GoDental Virtual Fair a few weeks ago, or have you attended any recruitment event (virtual or campus) through SNDA, ASDA, or the admissions teams before applying this cycle?
 
View attachment 420074

Hello, this is my recent DAT score... I'm in a bit of a dilemma if I should retake the DAT. I was actually really surprised with this score because I was getting less than 370s in my practice tests (Rarely got above 400s) but I decided to just shoot my shot. So it's actually a blessing I even got above 400. I have a gpa of 3.76 (I don't know my science gpa), currently in my gap year -- various extracurriculars, and dental assistant experience (2 years). My volunteer hours is a bit low ( maybe around 100 hours).

I plan to apply broadly, schools that are known to consider holistically (LECOM, UNE, Temple, Howard ...) but my top school is maybe considered a reach with this DAT score (UMD). Is it worth retaking the exam? If I do -- I'm considering a late July retake, giving me about 2 months to lock in.
I agree with the suggestion above to take a look at Meharry in addition to Howard.

One thing that I think is important here is your science GPA. A 3.76 overall GPA is certainly good, but dental schools pay very close attention to the science GPA as well.

Before making a decision about a retake, I would encourage you to calculate your science GPA. If your science GPA is strong, that may change how I view your current DAT score. If it is significantly lower, that is a different conversation.

Your actual DAT score was also higher than most of your practice test scores, so I would be careful about assuming that a July retake will automatically result in a higher score.

I would also consider reaching out to some of the schools on your list and asking for their thoughts. Admissions offices often have a better feel for what they are seeing from applicants than anyone on a forum.

Hope this helps.

Nancy