Should I retake a 504?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysera555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a 3.3x sGPA and a 3.5x cGPA. Do I need to retake my MCAT of 504 (126/128/126/124), which is a 28 on the old test? I am strictly applying to DO schools. I am a CO resident. I was planning on reapplying this cycle so if I were to retake, it would be in July.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a 3.3x sGPA and a 3.5x cGPA. Do I need to retake my MCAT of 504 (126/128/126/124), which is a 28 on the old test? I am strictly applying to DO schools. I am a CO resident. I was planning on reapplying this cycle so if I were to retake, it would be in July.

No. Your stats are competitive at any DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro

I don't think so but it is borderline. You also mentioned you were a reapplicant so that may be a weak point in your application.

28 isn't borderline for DO. 500 is boarder line anything that's 503+ I wouldn't retake because that's an old 27. It'll get you a spot

I think a lot of people are misreading the fact that the OP is a reapplicant...

OP, why were you a reapplicant this cycle? What did you apply with? Did you have any CHANGES between last cycle and this cycle in terms of stats, EC's, late application, etc? What schools did you apply to? What schools are you aiming for?

To further assess this, more information is needed. If this was your first time applying, your stats should be okay, but if you were a reapplicant, then more might be needed.

I think a lot of people are misreading the fact that the OP is a reapplicant...

OP, why were you a reapplicant this cycle? What did you apply with? Did you have any CHANGES between last cycle and this cycle in terms of stats, EC's, late application, etc? What schools did you apply to? What schools are you aiming for?

To further assess this, more information is needed. If this was your first time applying, your stats should be okay, but if you were a reapplicant, then more might be needed.
I applied to only 5 schools that had stats much higher than mine. I also applied in late November so that is why I am reapplying.

I applied to only 5 schools that had stats much higher than mine. I also applied in late November so that is why I am reapplying.

So, if you really want to go to one of those five schools, then you have to improve your application (either MCAT increase and/or GPA increase and/or extra ECs.) For this cycle, if you don't want to go through GPA and/or MCAT increase, apply more broadly, and to newer schools so you have a shot at getting in.

I got a 504 with a similar/lower GPA....and had 4 interviews. Just make sure the rest of your app (letters, ECs, etc) are up to par. 504 isn't bad!