Should I retake a course I got a B in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSC2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman. Currently I have a 3.522 because of one biology class I got a B in. This current semester I have a 4.0.

Is it a good idea to retake the bio course to try to get an A?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a freshman. Currently I have a 3.522 because of one biology class I got a B in. This current semester I have a 4.0.

Is it a good idea to retake the bio course to try to get an A?

no thats silly, just concentrate on getting a 4.0 for the rest of ur undergrad but dont worry if it does not always work out .... b is alright as long as your transcript is not filled with them. if you really want to show them that b is not truly deserved take an advanced bio course and kick ass.

Both grades will be averaged in together if you apply to M.D. schools. Different for D.O. schools though if you were planning on heading towards that path. Your GPA will increase more if you were to take another higher-level Biology class, by far, than retaking that B.

You will hear the "take higher level classes" phrase a lot but it's for a reason. If you were to average in an A from a higher level Bio class it will be more beneficial towards your GPA and your application as a whole. What would look better? Seeing the student obtaining an A in Microbiology or another advanced course or seeing the student's transcript and looking at how many classes were taken over again.

Retaking a C is understandable under some circumstances, a B is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Alright, haha. My dad said it was a good idea to retake it and I said well, I'm taking organic chemistry next year and if I get As in that, it will look more impressive.

I'm currently in cell biology and I have an A. So I guess that's a plus too.

I'll probably end up talking to my advisor too but I really didn't want to repeat that silly class.

do not retake a freshmen level biology course because of a B.

Both grades will be averaged in together if you apply to M.D. schools. Different for D.O. schools though if you were planning on heading towards that path. Your GPA will increase more if you were to take another higher-level Biology class, by far, than retaking that B.

You will hear the "take higher level classes" phrase a lot but it's for a reason. If you were to average in an A from a higher level Bio class it will be more beneficial towards your GPA and your application as a whole. What would look better? Seeing the student obtaining an A in Microbiology or another advanced course or seeing the student's transcript and looking at how many classes were taken over again.

Retaking a C is understandable under some circumstances, a B is fine.

Getting an A in a course is weighted the same no matter how "high level" the course is. The only way an A in one course might improve your GPA more than an A in a different course is if it's more credit hours.

Taking higher level science classes doesn't give your GPA more weight. They might look better in the larger picture, but those A's won't improve your GPA anymore than other A's will.

If the OP were to hypothetically retake that course and get an A, it would do the same thing to his/her GPA that getting an A in a different course would do, assuming the comparison is of equal credit hour courses.

This biology class was 5 credit hours which is a lot.. considering the one I am taking now is 4. (Because the lab in the other one was a lot more work.) And the upper level classes are less credit hours or comparable.

Do not retake a B. It isn't that low of a grade, and it will just make you look silly and obsessive compulsive if you do. Just take other upper level bio courses and ace them.

how bad is it to retake a class that was previously an F due to illness and end up with a C+/B-? this was calc II, will take Calc III next year and reach for that A.

Getting an A in a course is weighted the same no matter how "high level" the course is. The only way an A in one course might improve your GPA more than an A in a different course is if it's more credit hours.

Taking higher level science classes doesn't give your GPA more weight. They might look better in the larger picture, but those A's won't improve your GPA anymore than other A's will.

If the OP were to hypothetically retake that course and get an A, it would do the same thing to his/her GPA that getting an A in a different course would do, assuming the comparison is of equal credit hour courses.

I think that is why he said "...and to your application as a whole" or something like that.

Most colleges won't allow you to retake a B anyway...

I agree that you should not retake that B.

Don't retake the B. If you continue with your excellent current 4.0 work, your GPA will be better than fine.