Should I retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRTfour

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently waiting to hear back from schools. So far no rejections and no interviews.

I have close to 1000 hours of extra curricular, 100 hours of stem cell research, 400 hours shadowing and much much more that isn't school related.

For school related stuff, when I applied I had a 3.48 overall/science and a 3.52 BCP although after summer classes I have a 3.52 overall.

DAT scores were: 19 AA/21 PAT/20 RC/19TS with a 16 QR.... I was hoping QR wouldn't hold me back but as I haven't heard back anywhere i'm wondering if that might be the reason.

I applied to Michigan, Detroit Mercy, Stony Brook, Temple, Tufts and NYU

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently waiting to hear back from schools. So far no rejections and no interviews.

I have close to 1000 hours of extra curricular, 100 hours of stem cell research, 400 hours shadowing and much much more that isn't school related.

For school related stuff, when I applied I had a 3.48 overall/science and a 3.52 BCP although after summer classes I have a 3.52 overall.

DAT scores were: 19 AA/21 PAT/20 RC/19TS with a 16 QR.... I was hoping QR wouldn't hold me back but as I haven't heard back anywhere i'm wondering if that might be the reason.

What do you guys think?

Eh, tough call. I got a 16 QR and have gotten 2 interviews. (other stats, 20AA, 21TS; 3.85ogpa, 3.73 sgpa). I would suggest applying more broadly, its getting somewhat late, but still not too late to add schools.

Apply to more schools. I have a 16QR and I have a couple of interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
QR is regarded as the least important section. However, like the others have stated, apply broadly. Some schools have section cutoffs at 17, so before you add schools to apply to make sure they don't have this standard. Another tip, perhaps skim the acceptance/interview/rejection thread of this year and possibly last year and see which schools invited people to interview with a QR of under 17.

400 hrs of shadowing? A friend of mine lied in his app and put 600. The dude is a typical SDNer with great grades and dat. I think they know any above 150 is bs. Sorry that's just my 2 cents

400 hrs of shadowing? A friend of mine lied in his app and put 600. The dude is a typical SDNer with great grades and dat. I think they know any above 150 is bs. Sorry that's just my 2 cents

You know a dentist has to vouch for the hours you claim on that, right?

I didn't say I did 600 hrs. A buddy of mine did. Even so, i have had only one school that asked for confirmation.

Yeah I know I should have clarified saying I hope your friend knows that he'll probably need confirmation of that many hours.

To the OP: I don't know too much about the other schools, but stony brook is extremely selective, especially to out of state students. I hope you're an NY resident, or else you're out of luck.

NYU is more lenient. I think you have a very good chance of getting in there. And I heard they love to see a lot of shadowing and extracurricular, which you have. And your grades are solid. I wouldn't worry about QR too much. Good luck!

Appreciate the feed back everyone, all of my shadowing hours are verifiable and it's really not that many hours considering I have been shadowing since early high school. NYU is my number one choice, good luck to everyone!

What do you guys think?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14447706&postcount=12