Should I retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pokarie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted my stats.. =(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why were you devastated by these results? Everything looks solid...the only thing that's hurting you right now is waiting on those secondaries.

Hi guys,

I'm an international student who's also non-traditional. (double handicap(?), i guess)

After I took my DAT several weeks ago, I was quite devastated by the results, and immediately decided to retake.

But, after reading some threads here, I was wondering if my stats could work as is..

DAT scores: PAT 20, QR 18, RC 20, BIO 21, Gen Chem 19, Orgo 23, TS 21, AA 20
oGPA: 3.31 (it combined with my original undergrad grades), sGPA : 3.55, BCP: 3.78

Right now, I've applied to NYU, Buffalo, BU, Case Western, USC, PITT.

As for the secondaries, actually, after seeing my DAT scores, I was so disappointed that I kind of lost it all and became afraid that the schools would reject me upon reviewing my application. So, for some of the schools, I haven't submitted the secondaries yet. (thinking that I would retake the DAT and then submit the application fee, so the school would review then)

Any advice/thoughts/tips would be appreciated!!

Good luck OP.

Internationals who do not know what is good, are not wanted here.

Just kidding.

But ask yourself in the mirror, "are my scores good when the US DAT national average is like 20"

Where ya from anyways?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why were you devastated by these results? Everything looks solid...the only thing that's hurting you right now is waiting on those secondaries.

Wow, thank you for the quick reply..! actually, I wouldn't have been devastated if I had a green card. I've heard that dental schools do not like to accept international students unless they had a stellar DAT and GPA. I guess being stellar means anything above 23-24. I'm going to complete my secondaries this week.

Good luck OP.

Internationals who do not know what is good, are not wanted here.

Just kidding.

But ask yourself in the mirror, "are my scores good when the US DAT national average is like 20"

Where ya from anyways?

wow, your joke pierced my heart! *ouch* >.<
I apologize for the possible obnoxiousness of my thread.. Like I said above, I wouldn't be worried if I were not an international applicant.
Because there has been some kind of a propagation(?) in my community that international candidates must have impeccable stats even to be considered for an interview (because internationals are the last priority when it comes to giving admissions), the idea of getting the perfect score has been haunting my mind. =(

wow, your joke pierced my heart! *ouch* >.<
I apologize for the possible obnoxiousness of my thread.. Like I said above, I wouldn't be worried if I were not an international applicant.
Because there has been some kind of a propagation(?) in my community that international candidates must have impeccable stats even to be considered for an interview (because internationals are the last priority when it comes to giving admissions), the idea of getting the perfect score has been haunting my mind. =(

International vs national,

To be honest , I bet it makes no difference.

I think you might be mistaken. Ask any admissions director at any school , and they will tell you that internationals have less priority than nationals. I'm saying this cu or interviewed before and that is what schools have said. Many schools won't even consider you if you are not a resident or citizen. I applied two cycles as an international student. This year as a resident

it absolutely makes a difference. Some school even outright don't consider international students.

mist international students who are accepted are much more exceptional than the average applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

I'm an international student who's also non-traditional. (double handicap(?), i guess)

After I took my DAT several weeks ago, I was quite devastated by the results, and immediately decided to retake.

But, after reading some threads here, I was wondering if my stats could work as is..

DAT scores: PAT 20, QR 18, RC 20, BIO 21, Gen Chem 19, Orgo 23, TS 21, AA 20
oGPA: 3.31 (it combined with my original undergrad grades), sGPA : 3.55, BCP: 3.78

Right now, I've applied to NYU, Buffalo, BU, Case Western, USC, PITT.

As for the secondaries, actually, after seeing my DAT scores, I was so disappointed that I kind of lost it all and became afraid that the schools would reject me upon reviewing my application. So, for some of the schools, I haven't submitted the secondaries yet. (thinking that I would retake the DAT and then submit the application fee, so the school would review then)

Any advice/thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Don't be upset!!! Your fine your going to get In to at least 4-5 schools. That's an amazing score you have any tips you can offer my dat is tomorrow

Don't be upset!!! Your fine your going to get In to at least 4-5 schools. That's an amazing score you have any tips you can offer my dat is tomorrow

Thanks! try to review the basic concepts of gen chem and organic chem once again before taking the test, because, most questions are conceptual and quite wordy, so having a solid knowledge of concepts should be the key to be successful in the exam. other than that, take a good rest today and eat well at least an hour before the exam. good luck tomorrow!