Should I retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nthamby1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn,

I took the DAT a little over a week ago and did alright but not as good as I was hoping to do.
I got:
AA/TS/Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
20/19/19/18/20/21/24/21

I was really hoping to do better in bio, but I feel like the topics asked were areas I didn't prepare enough for. My main regret is that I wasn't able to go through all of destroyer before I took the exam. Since my GPA is on the lower side I was wondering if I would need to retake or not. My application was submitted back in beginning of august. My oGPA is 3.25 and sGPA 3.18. Strong upward trend the last 2 years with 3.5 and above GPA with high level science courses. Any input would be appreciated thanks!

- Nathan

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your scores. They are still very decent but with your gpa, you need a higher DAT.
Awesome RC score!

Yeah, since you have already applied.
I would say retake. I mean what are you gonna lose ( except for time, money, sanity, health and peace of mind?)
Nothing really, you gonna retake and do better hopefully.
That way three options ahead of you: Either nobody considers you and you re-apply next year with a better DAT
Or the schools that considered you but waitlisted you, might take you in.
Or the schools that avoided you, might give you a chance.

I see retaking is a better option, but I urge you to take a rest for sometime before you start studying again.

By the way, when you say you didn't finish Destroyer, what do you mean, do you mean you just used half of bio, chem, math, and orgo?
Also, I am curious about your RC, what was your method?

Best of luck.

Congratulations on your scores. They are still very decent but with your gpa, you need a higher DAT.
Awesome RC score!

Yeah, since you have already applied.
I would say retake. I mean what are you gonna lose ( except for time, money, sanity, health and peace of mind?)
Nothing really, you gonna retake and do better hopefully.
That way three options ahead of you: Either nobody considers you and you re-apply next year with a better DAT
Or the schools that considered you but waitlisted you, might take you in.
Or the schools that avoided you, might give you a chance.

I see retaking is a better option, but I urge you to take a rest for sometime before you start studying again.

By the way, when you say you didn't finish Destroyer, what do you mean, do you mean you just used half of bio, chem, math, and orgo?
Also, I am curious about your RC, what was your method?

Best of luck.

For destroyer I only did about 100 OC questions, like 50 GC questions and like 150 Bio questions. So I didn't really utilize the book like I feel I should've. I definitely think I can do better on a second attempt but I also feel like I'd go crazy studying again xD

As for RC I didn't really have a particular method I used, or if I did i'm not sure what its called. But i would look at the first question then begin reading the passage. If when I found the answer I would move on to the next question. For the first few questions of the passage I would do this and by the time I got to like the 6th question I would have read/skimmed over most of the passage. Then for the rest of the questions I would recognize where in the passage I could find the answer if that makes sense.

For destroyer I only did about 100 OC questions, like 50 GC questions and like 150 Bio questions. So I didn't really utilize the book like I feel I should've. I definitely think I can do better on a second attempt but I also feel like I'd go crazy studying again xD

As for RC I didn't really have a particular method I used, or if I did i'm not sure what its called. But i would look at the first question then begin reading the passage. If when I found the answer I would move on to the next question. For the first few questions of the passage I would do this and by the time I got to like the 6th question I would have read/skimmed over most of the passage. Then for the rest of the questions I would recognize where in the passage I could find the answer if that makes sense.

I understand how the dat can drive you crazy. I'm on the verge of that.
Thanks for sharing your RC method.

I forgot to add, if you haven't graduated yet
Then you seriously need to focus on improving your gpa for now. Can you imagine 2 semesters with straight A's or Mostly A's? That would raise your gpa incredibly. So if your gpa improved that help a lot and then maybe you won't need to retake.

Even if you have graduated I would say take postgrad courses to improve your gpa and chances.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Why didn't you complete all the problems?

All the DAT DESTROYER problems need to be done. I wrote all the problems in the DAT Destroyer, not just re-worded some common problems. Without doing all the problems, one can not expect to hit their potential. If you would like some guidance should you decide a retake is necessary, message me. BTW, your scores are not bad, :love:the 24 in Reading. Depending on where you apply you should have a decent shot at interviews. Make sure you have a very strong personal statement.

Dr. Jim Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Why didn't you complete all the problems?

All the DAT DESTROYER problems need to be done. I wrote all the problems in the DAT Destroyer, not just re-worded some common problems. Without doing all the problems, one can not expect to hit their potential. If you would like some guidance should you decide a retake is necessary, message me. BTW, your scores are not bad, :love:the 24 in Reading. Depending on where you apply you should have a decent shot at interviews. Make sure you have a very strong personal statement.

Dr. Jim Romano

Hi Dr. Romano,
I didn't work through all of the destroyer problems because I didn't really prioritize my time properly. I was debating if I should postpone so I could go over the problems, but having already postponed multiple times I felt like I should just go ahead and take the exam. Im glad you think my scores aren't bad though :D. I will be sure to PM you if I decide to retake thank you!

Hi Dr. Romano,
I didn't work through all of the destroyer problems because I didn't really prioritize my time properly. I was debating if I should postpone so I could go over the problems, but having already postponed multiple times I felt like I should just go ahead and take the exam. Im glad you think my scores aren't bad though :D. I will be sure to PM you if I decide to retake thank you!

Best of luck in the process! Thanks for the response.

Dr. Jim Romano

Reactions: 1 user