Should I retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KKUO

TS 27, AA 24
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took my DAT. I got
AA 21
TS 23
Bio 21
Ochem 24
Chem 25
PAT 21
Qr 21
RC 15....

Should I retake dat because of that 15?

Members don't see this ad.

Great scores, especially that 23TS. Since a few schools have a cutoff for RC, I would call them and ask what their cutoff is. @Life of Pablo has a 16RC, and is in the double digits in terms of interviews. He can better elaborate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I have the same scores as you but a 16 RC. I haven't had trouble landing interviews, but if you're worried, call some of the schools you're interested in to see if they have cutoffs. Another thing I would take into account is your GPA. If it's high, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
my first DAT score in RC is 17... idk if it'll help.... i heard UNLV takes the highest section.

I am sorry about that! You have awesome scores. Except for that hideous RC, not your score, the section I mean!
It's the most worrisome for me as well.
Congratulations! Best of luck.

But what happened, why do you think you got 15 on RC? What were your practice scores average?

I am sorry about that! You have awesome scores. Except for that hideous RC, not your score, the section I mean!
It's the most worrisome for me as well.
Congratulations! Best of luck.

But what happened, why do you think you got 15 on RC? What were your practice scores average?
Well I'm not sure why.. I know I'm lacking in RC and I was ok to get a 18....I got two 16 for bootcamp test 1 and 2. For tests 3-5 I ranged from 17-19. I thought the passages were easy to read...I actually felt more confident when I was taking it for second time than first time (which I got a 17) :/ anyway, I'm going to ask the schools when they come to my school for prehealth conference and see what they think... I think I might need to retake it...the most annoying part is that now I have to balance school and DAT...I already sacrificed my whole summer for DAT -.- now I gotta worry about DAT for this one section....

So I just took my DAT. I got
AA 21
TS 23
Bio 21
Ochem 24
Chem 25
PAT 21
Qr 21
RC 15....

Should I retake dat because of that 15?
Hey nevertheless, those are some awesome scores! Great job!

Isn't RC pretty important? Don't schools look at it to see that you're capable of reading passages for Boards?

I can understand a low QR score, but RC seems pretty important since your schooling/career depends on you needing to be able to read.

Great scores, especially that 23TS. Since many schools have a cutoff for RC, I would call them and ask what their cutoff is. @Life of Pablo has a 16RC, and is in the double digits in terms of interviews. He can better elaborate.
Is this something you pulled out of your hat or you happen to be privy to information that no one else seems to have? The available data to us mortals shows only two schools (Florida and Oregon) which require a minimum of 15 on all scored categories.

Is this something you pulled out of your hat or you happen to be privy to information that no one else seems to have? The available data to us mortals shows only two schools (Florida and Oregon) which require a minimum of 15 on all scored categories.

From University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine's website:

UB Dental said:
In order to be considered, you must have:

DAT Reading Comprehension: 16 minimum score on most recent test date

All other DAT Sections: 15 minimum score on most recent test date

Reactions: 1 user
just asked A.T Still University.... she recommended me to still apply with the score above 19 in AA and PAT.
"From what you are telling me you have a overall competitive score. The RC 15 score will not be addressed in the initial reviewing processes but I will probably be addressed in the interview processes (if accepted for an interview). "

man should i take the chance to apply or retake..... the thing is my GPA is not competitive :(

My mistake. A FEW schools have a cutoff. It still wouldn't hurt to call schools and ask.

Isn't RC pretty important? Don't schools look at it to see that you're capable of reading passages for Boards?
I can understand a low QR score, but RC seems pretty important since your schooling/career depends on you needing to be able to read.
2012 How US DS Rank DAT/GPA/Other Selection Criteria

From University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine's website:

Ah yes. Adding one more changes the definition of a few to "most".