Should I retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patdmd2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I would like someone's opinion especially from those who knows the ins and outs of the admission process or in similar situation but had been admitted to dental school.
I took DAT in May and got the following scores:

QR: 20
RC: 19
BIO: 16
GChem: 21
OChem: 18
TS/AA/PAT: 18/19/19

I know it's probably best to retake it but am dragging it. The only concern I have is my Bio score. I have submitted my application to: UCSF, UOP, UCLA and loma Linda on 7/18 (package has not been mailed out to schools yet). am also going to apply to NYU and USC end of Aug, early Sept as backups. I have not been studying since then but after reading some of the posts (those who got DAT scores 20+), I am starting to get worry. Considering my undergraduate science and cGPA (both are in the 3.2s), they are not that great either. Anyone been accepted to above schools with one of the science DAT being in 16?

Members don't see this ad.

For Cali schools, You will need scores in 20's I believe. They are especially competitive to get into. I saw the rankings back in like 2002 or 2003..whenever they last ranked schools, UCLA and UCSF are among the top 5. You can go to their websites and look for their previous admiting class's stats. If it's not available, maybe you can call or e mail a request in.

patdmd2007 said:
Hi guys,
I would like someone's opinion especially from those who knows the ins and outs of the admission process or in similar situation but had been admitted to dental school.
I took DAT in May and got the following scores:

QR: 20
RC: 19
BIO: 16
GChem: 21
OChem: 18
TS/AA/PAT: 18/19/19

I know it's probably best to retake it but am dragging it. The only concern I have is my Bio score. I have submitted my application to: UCSF, UOP, UCLA and loma Linda on 7/18 (package has not been mailed out to schools yet). am also going to apply to NYU and USC end of Aug, early Sept as backups. I have not been studying since then but after reading some of the posts (those who got DAT scores 20+), I am starting to get worry. Considering my undergraduate science and cGPA (both are in the 3.2s), they are not that great either. Anyone been accepted to above schools with one of the science DAT being in 16?

in a school that teaches bio, having a bio score above 18's kinda expected. 20's ideal

If i were you, I would study and retake it. Honestly, neither ur GPA or ur DAT score is stellar. No offense to you, just giving you my honest opinion. My gpa is about the same as yours, so im trying to do really well on the DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
if u really want to stay in Cali, I would retake it for a better chance~

allstardentist said:
If i were you, I would study and retake it. Honestly, neither ur GPA or ur DAT score is stellar. No offense to you, just giving you my honest opinion. My gpa is about the same as yours, so im trying to do really well on the DAT

Thank you all for the comments. You are right, I knew I have to retake it if I want to go to Cali school, just needed wake up call :) . I am also thinking of applying to non CA schools.