Should I retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucie02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a reapplicant for this 2009-2010 cycle. I have registered to retake my DAT this Friday, but I am not confident that I am ready. My previous scores were pretty average. Should I push back the retake date of my DAT or should I just go ahead and resubmit my applications without indicating that I will be retaking the DAT (and not retake the DAT) to prevent any further delay of processing my application (which I feel was my problem last cycle, among other things). My GPA is a 3.4 at a top 10 school. I am very worried about doing worse this time around and how that might affect my application along with submitting it any later in the game. Thank you so much for your help and advice!

AA: 19
PAT: 21
QR: 19
RC: 20
Science: 19 (18/19/19)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, If I do end up retaking my DAT, how late is too late to retake it? Thanks again!

Your DAT score and GPA are around average, so i'm surprised you didnt get any acceptances last year. Did you contact the schools and ask what you could have done to improve and why you were rejected?

I don't really think you need a re-take, but since it seems like you've been studying for a while, I'd say just take an extra few weeks or so if you need to and take it again, since you've already spent all this time studying. Also, you need to get your app in ASAP. You said applying late last cycle may have cost you, but it's already August and you're not exactly considered "early".

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got into NYUCD FROM WAITLIST.Yes you need to retake the DAT Competitive scores are all around 20 or more.3.4 GPA is okay but with no academc updates since your last application you are setting yourself up for failure.With the bad economy more and more people are applying so if you dont improve your stats chances are you had a better chance getting in last year which you didnt.Tell the schools you will be retaking the exam.With those numbers on your DAT they will be expecting you to retake anyhow.Goodluck to you and I hope my advice was not too harsh.

I am a reapplicant for this 2009-2010 cycle. I have registered to retake my DAT this Friday, but I am not confident that I am ready. My previous scores were pretty average. Should I push back the retake date of my DAT or should I just go ahead and resubmit my applications without indicating that I will be retaking the DAT (and not retake the DAT) to prevent any further delay of processing my application (which I feel was my problem last cycle, among other things). My GPA is a 3.4 at a top 10 school. I am very worried about doing worse this time around and how that might affect my application along with submitting it any later in the game. Thank you so much for your help and advice!

AA: 19
PAT: 21
QR: 19
RC: 20
Science: 19 (18/19/19)

What schools did you apply to last cycle? What were some of the problems you had?

Lol Im gonna go out on a limb here and say I think your DAT scores are just fine, Im also a little surprised you didnt get any acceptances last year, you obviously dont have a state school, correct? Did you have any interviews? Your scores really are not bad at all, little average but then again your PAT is above average and a lot of people get in with your stats every single year. I also strongly disagree with bearandmonkey, schools wouldnt look at your DAT scores and just EXPECT or assume you to re-take them, no way!