Should I Retake GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nouns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, All!

I'm a prospective career changer (college instructor to PT). I'm in the beginning stages of this process and still need to take my prereqs, but I'm wondering: if I got a 162 V/150 Q on my GRE (don't know AW yet), should I retake it?

Thanks for any advice!

Edit: I got a 5 on AW. I think I'll hold off on retaking for now--I can always retake later to improve my quant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should look at PTCAS to determine what the average/minimum is for the schools of your interest. If you got 4.0 or above on AW, your in the green, I'd think.

TE="nouns, post: 16846838, member: 679857"]Hi, All!

I'm a prospective career changer (college instructor to PT). I'm in the beginning stages of this process and still need to take my prereqs, but I'm wondering: if I got a 162 V/150 Q on my GRE (don't know AW yet), should I retake it?

Thanks for any advice![/QUOTE]
Don't retake it unless your writing score is less than a 4

Members don't see this ad :)
You should look at PTCAS to determine what the average/minimum is for the schools of your interest. If you got 4.0 or above on AW, your in the green, I'd think.

Thanks (both, actually) for the replies! I'm definitely above minimum, but for some programs, my Quant is slightly below average (which seems to hover around 152). I'm hoping that I can make up for that with the rest of my application.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for the AW score to come back...

I am in a very similar situations and wondering if it will help to retake the GRE.

I scored 161 V 155Q, AW still waiting.

My verbal will not change much but my Q was bit on the low side from my practice. On the Q, I generally score 158 with 160 being top end. GPA's aren't complete yet but my undergrad will be on the lower side of applicants, my science will about average (which I think is exceptional, but scores are very high)....

This will be a career change as well.

Most important: know your critics. What schools are you looking at? Do they consider whole applications/applicants or do they do a GRE cut off (not many, and your scores are well above it if they do)?

Next, the rest of your application. With decent scores like you have you should consider what will benefit you more, spending time studying and retaking or getting more hours observing or volunteering.

If it's any consolation my scores were lower and I got into a lot of great programs due to my hours and volunteer background. Make sure you're a whole candidate, not just a score! Much better chance as a non traditional as well. Good luck!

I have a v149 and a Q156 and aw 3.5
Everything else in my application is great. Should I retake the gre or not