Should I retake MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueSlurpee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I am in a situation where I need to decide whether or not I need to retake the MCAT. My first and second MCAT score were both 26. The first break down is 12/5/9 and the second break down was 9/7/10. My cGPA is 3.53, sGPA 3.53, nGPA is 3.53. I have some extracurricular activities but I want to get more non medical activities in during this time. I am planning to apply next application cycle early. Should I go in for the retake or is my score along with my stats decent enough? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get in somewhere with a 3.53/26. Probably not at some of the more established schools though.

Reactions: 1 user
You just need to apply to a lot of schools. 26 isn't bad with a 3.5, but if a school super scores then you've got a 29. So for NYIT, OUCOM, PNWU, and maybe PCOM you're in the great shape and for most mid tiers a good shot.

You just need to apply to a lot of schools. 26 isn't bad with a 3.5, but if a school super scores then you've got a 29. So for NYIT, OUCOM, PNWU, and maybe PCOM you're in the great shape and for most mid tiers a good shot.
If you think he is good for oucom NYIT and PCOM (some of the more established and better regarded DO schools) then you must then think he is fine for all DO schools (except AZCOM) ofcourse. Which I agree. Reasonable shot at any DO school. Looking at school specific thread one of the more established schools (DMU) accepted 26's. I also know of other DO schools that accept plenty at that range. OP is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your comment.

If you think he is good for oucom NYIT and PCOM (some of the more established and better regarded DO schools) then you must then think he is fine for all DO schools (except AZCOM) ofcourse. Which I agree. Reasonable shot at any DO school. Looking at school specific thread one of the more established schools (DMU) accepted 26's. I also know of other DO schools that accept plenty at that range. OP is perfectly fine.

Yah, pretty much. If it were just a 3.5/26 then it would be a different story. But he's especially competitive at schools that will super score as he will be above their averages. But yah, yours was a good summery, he's good to apply to all and pretty much every DO school of his choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Yah, pretty much. If it were just a 3.5/26 then it would be a different story. But he's especially competitive at schools that will super score as he will be above their averages. But yah, yours was a good summery, he's good to apply to all and pretty much every DO school of his choice.
Idk even if it just was a 3.5/26 I think OP stands a shot at almost all DO schools. Not to say that OP won't have rejections I'm just saying that OP stands a shot. Average MCAT for a DO school with a 28 gotta have 26-30 people primarily.

Idk even if it just was a 3.5/26 I think OP stands a shot at almost all DO schools. Not to say that OP won't have rejections I'm just saying that OP stands a shot. Average MCAT for a DO school with a 28 gotta have 26-30 people primarily.

Very true. But he's certainly in a better position than someone with just a 26.

But yah, OP shouldn't retake lol. Unless he's aiming more towards md.

Last edited:
Very true. But he's certainly in a better position than someone with just a 26.

But yah, OP shouldn't retake lol. Unless he's aiming more towards md.

Yea 26 is certianly lethal on that side of the woods.

Do NOT retake!

Apply broadly. A number of schools will take your best composite, which will be 12/7/10 = 29!

Skip AZCOM, CCOM and the CA and NY Touros.

Hey all, so I am in a situation where I need to decide whether or not I need to retake the MCAT. My first and second MCAT score were both 26. The first break down is 12/5/9 and the second break down was 9/7/10. My cGPA is 3.53, sGPA 3.53, nGPA is 3.53. I have some extracurricular activities but I want to get more non medical activities in during this time. I am planning to apply next application cycle early. Should I go in for the retake or is my score along with my stats decent enough? Thanks for the help!