Should I retake my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahs96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My scores were
TS: 21
AA:19
PAT:19
RC:18
QR: 15
OC:23
Gen Chem: 20
Bio:21
I ran out of time on both the RC and QR as I never practiced timing and had to randomly guess questions on each of the two.
My GPA is a 3.90.
Should I take it again?

Members don't see this ad.

The rest of your scores are pretty good, but that QR might hurt...but it depends on the schools you're planning to apply to. I'd suggest calling them and asking if they have cutoffs for QR. Your high GPA balances it out a little, but I'd still call just to make sure. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
My scores were
TS: 21
AA:19
PAT:19
RC:18
QR: 15
OC:23
Gen Chem: 20
Bio:21
I ran out of time on both the RC and QR as I never practiced timing and had to randomly guess questions on each of the two.
My GPA is a 3.90.
Should I take it again?
What made Qr so difficult? were you scoring in that range on bootcamp too or better? And how were the other sections compared to bootcamp

Members don't see this ad :)
What made Qr so difficult? were you scoring in that range on bootcamp too or better? And how were the other sections compared to bootcamp
I never used Bootcamp. I only used math destroyer. It wasn't really difficult, i just couldn't move through it fast enough. I knew how to solve the questions and had even seen most the questions in math destroyer, but my mind went blank because of the clock.

I have very similar scores and GPA. I also got a 16 in QR, 18 in RC, TS was 20, OC: 23, GC: 20, bio: 19, AA of 19 and PAT 24 with a 3.84 GPA. I think that you have a good chance of getting in somewhere. At least that's my hope because I'm applying this cycle too. If you apply to enough schools though you should definitely get interviews and QR is the least important section next to RC for most schools. If you have good extra curricular's I don't see why you shouldn't get interviews. I wouldn't retake or anything unless you don't get in this cycle. Hope that helped!

I have very similar scores and GPA. I also got a 16 in QR, 18 in RC, TS was 20, OC: 23, GC: 20, bio: 19, AA of 19 and PAT 24 with a 3.84 GPA. I think that you have a good chance of getting in somewhere. At least that's my hope because I'm applying this cycle too. If you apply to enough schools though you should definitely get interviews and QR is the least important section next to RC for most schools. If you have good extra curricular's I don't see why you shouldn't get interviews. I wouldn't retake or anything unless you don't get in this cycle. Hope that helped!
What would you consider to be good extra curricula's? I'm going to be a junior this fall so I've still got a year to try and better myself in that regard. It's definitely reassuring though, thank you.

Yeah I wasn't fond of the center. The computers lagged a bit and the employees were pretty cold.

haha I had a very similiar experience.

On the good news, your scores are pretty good except the QR of course. Some schools do not have a QR cutoff and many take the QR lightly. So I wouldn't let this deter, just keep going. Your GPA is solid and you still have a good chance of getting in, all the best!

What would you consider to be good extra curricula's? I'm going to be a junior this fall so I've still got a year to try and better myself in that regard. It's definitely reassuring though, thank you.

I think having a lot of different volunteering experiences, maybe pick one to spend a lot of time with to get a letter or rec. Obviously good shadowing and job experience will help too.