Should I retake my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreBananaGurl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
AA: 20
TS: 21
PAT: 20
BIO: 20
GC: 20
OC: 23
QR: 16
RC: 19

I am a third year with a 3.0 cGPA but hoping to raise it to a 3.4 by the time I graduate. I have 100+ shadowing hours and very active in my schools pre-dental society. I want to apply next cycle and be competitive at schools like BU and NYU. I know that I will be able to raise my scores but is it worth it to restudy and pay to take the test again?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes you should retake. The 16 in QR and the 19 RC are yellow flags. In addition a 20 and a 3.4 won’t open many doors while 22 and a 3.4 might open some.

Sometimes you can make an appt with an assistant dean at the school that you're interested in attending, and they will look over your transcripts and scores and even personal statement. They will guide you to what scores and grades you'll need. If you do retake make sure you have the DAT Destroyer, It'll definitely prepare you for DAT.

If the schools you're interested in have a cutoff for QT < your 16, you should be fine I guess.

But as others have said, perhaps retake and shoot for a higher AA/TS, even if you wind up getting another ~16 QR

Members don't see this ad :)
Finished applying this current cycle. Based on my experience so far, I recommend retaking the DAT. 16QR will limit the number of schools you can apply to. Your AA and TS are fine, but with your QR and RC scores.. might be a risky application.

I got accept with 16 in QR. I would not retake it because of QR section the schools are more forgiving on QR. Actually 3 of my friends got accept to schools with 16. Don't retake it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I mean my coworker was accepted with a 15 in QR but she had a 3.7 not a 3.4. I think you’d be rolling the dice because the gpa is low

AA: 20
TS: 21
PAT: 20
BIO: 20
GC: 20
OC: 23
QR: 16
RC: 19

I am a third year with a 3.0 cGPA but hoping to raise it to a 3.4 by the time I graduate. I have 100+ shadowing hours and very active in my schools pre-dental society. I want to apply next cycle and be competitive at schools like BU and NYU. I know that I will be able to raise my scores but is it worth it to restudy and pay to take the test again?

I would not retake the DAT with these scores, with a strong personal statement and a strong application, I see no reason you would not get an interview. I have worked with students who have bee accepted with lesser GPA's and scores. You always run the risk on a retake lowering some of your other great scores, the vast majority of schools are forgiving on a low QR score and you did not go below a cutoff.

But it is very important you have a strong personal statement to open the door to an interview and once you get the interview make sure to practice your interviewing skills.

When in doubt it is always advised to contact the schools directly, even with all my years of experience of working with students I can only give my opinion.

Wishing you the best and keep us posted!

Good luck ..

Nancy

Reactions: 1 users