Should I retake Orgo 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnchantedModern

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a really bad semester. My mom had a worsening health condition, my sister was put in to a psychiatric ward, and my father is going to change jobs. I've been trying to help them out at home throughout this semester. I've been feeling depressed and suicidal from the get-go. I lost my motivation to do anything and I was also sick at least for an entire week throughout the semester, so I screwed up horribly in Orgo. I just got a C in the lecture and a B- in the lab.

I'll have a 3.65 GPA overall from this and last semester since I didn't screw up in my other classes.

Should I retake in the summer? I was planning on staying at my college to take a different class, but I can switch Orgo in to retake instead.

Problem is that at my college, if I received a C- or lower in a class and retook it, then the new grade would count towards the GPA. Since I received a C, my transcript would show the other grade, but it wouldn't calculate it in to my GPA. Would med schools calculate it in? Will they understand my situation this semester?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if this helps with your decision, but regardless of your school's own policies on grades, if it shows up on your transcript, then AMCAS will factor it into your GPA. Also, a C is not the end of the world. To retake or not won't majorly affect your med school chances. Just try to ace your classes from now onward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I screwed up horribly in Orgo. I just got a C in the lecture and a B- in the lab.

I'll have a 3.65 GPA overall from this and last semester since I didn't screw up in my other classes.

Should I retake in the summer? I was planning on staying at my college to take a different class, but I can switch Orgo in to retake instead.
For MD schools, if you mastered the material, you don't necessarily need to retake the class, since your GPA is decent anyway. This assumes you won't be applying to any schools that require at least a B (for example) in prerequisites. For general purposes, if you want to redeem it, get a better grade in Biochem.

For AACOMAS DO schools, only the repeat grade would be included in your GPA calculation, but your GPA is good enough that you don't need the boost you'd get from retaking anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which medical schools require a B in your prerequisites?

Isn't biochem now a prerequisite because of the new MCAT? I was planning on taking it this summer anyway.

Last edited:
So in the summer there are 2 terms at my school. The first term, I was planning on taking Physics 1 but I could retake Orgo 2 instead and in the second term, I was planning on taking Biochem and Sociology.

gonnif, I'm far off from a glide year. I just finished up freshman year.

Will med schools understand my situation for the reason for my bad grade? Will I be able to explain this to them, because my GPA decreased substantially from last semester?

Biochem here requires both intro bio courses and both orgo courses as prereqs.

Last edited:
1) Which medical schools require a B in your prerequisites?

2) Isn't biochem now a prerequisite because of the new MCAT? I was planning on taking it this summer anyway.
1) School websites will tell you which they are.

2) I've seen occasionally that students are allowed to take Biochem before OChem (which seems strange to me) in which case the higher grade wouldn't "redeem" a later-taken OChem class.

I have no idea what med schools I want to apply to, so should I retake in case the one I want to go to requires a B or higher in prereqs.