Should I retake pre-requisites from 5 years ago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stacyyg

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I started as a pre-med since my freshman year in college during 2013. I took half of my pre-requisites (Gen Chem, Orgo, Biology, Calculus) during 2013-2014 and received As and A-s. I continued to take the other half of my pre-requisites (Physics, Biochemistry, Statistics, Org/Bio Lab) throughout 2015-2017 of my junior and senior years (scored similar)

However, I am deciding to apply the next cycle: 2019-2020 due to needing more time to study for the MCAT (big regrets here for not completing it sooner ): ).

I saw on MSAR that some schools indicate that the oldest date of pre-requisites is 2014, which may change to 2015 the next cycle I apply. My most recent pre-requisite completion is 2017 but some pre-requites were during 2013-2014. I'm wondering if I need to retake those in 2013-2014?

Thanks so much for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I started as a pre-med since my freshman year in college during 2013. I took half of my pre-requisites (Gen Chem, Orgo, Biology, Calculus) during 2013-2014 and received As and A-s. I continued to take the other half of my pre-requisites (Physics, Biochemistry, Statistics, Org/Bio Lab) throughout 2015-2017 of my junior and senior years (scored similar)

However, I am deciding to apply the next cycle: 2019-2020 due to needing more time to study for the MCAT (big regrets here for not completing it sooner ): ).

I saw on MSAR that some schools indicate that the oldest date of pre-requisites is 2014, which may change to 2015 the next cycle I apply. My most recent pre-requisite completion is 2017 but some pre-requites were during 2013-2014. I'm wondering if I need to retake those in 2013-2014?

Thanks so much for the help!!
I am unsure of the new requirements. I would maybe contact some of the schools you are interested in applying and checking for sure as to what the changes are going to require.

I've heard if you take some other science courses more recently, it's ok. You don't want adcoms to wonder if you can still hack hard science courses. Upper division courses all the better.