Should I retake the DAT? AA20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jap033

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Texas resident and want to get into 1/3 of the Texas dental schools, however, I am concerned because the average DAT score last cycle was a 21AA. I have called each of the schools and I have talked to people who were recently accepted, and they all explained that whether I retake the DAT or not is my decision. I cannot retake the DAT until the end of June and I am wanting to apply this cycle.

I have a 3.79 GPA and here is my DAT score breakdown:
PAT: 22
QR: 19
RC: 20
OC: 20
GC: 21
BIO: 20

I have been struggling with the decision to retake or not for about a month now. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't retake because 1. your GPA is high and 2. there aren't any glaringly low sections. I don't know much about TX schools though

Reactions: 1 user
You're essentially asking if saving 500$ is worth an entire year of dental school. You know retaking is the best option to increase your chances of getting in. Your GPA is great, your DAT is good. I would plan on the retake because I know if I didn't try to retake and ended up rejected in the cycle, I'd be pissed. If you retake, score better, and get accepted, you'll thank yourself for spending that 500$.

I wouldn't retake. Your stats are already competitive and if you end up retaking and getting lower or the same score as you did the first time it will not look good.

Both the 2016 and 2017 entering students averages were about a 20AA. You will get in somewhere provided the rest of your app is good. Depending on your end goals and what you think you can bring it up to could decide if you could re-take but as it stands, it's a good score.