should I retake the DAT exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredmina

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just took my DAT and I'm conflicted as to whether or not I should retake it.

My scores:
PAT: 16
QR: 19
RC: 22
BIO: 24
GC: 21
OC: 20
TS: 21
AA: 21

I'm worried that my PAT score is too low, but I don't know if I should risk re-taking it and potentially scoring lower on the other sections as well. I know some (very few) schools have a low cutoff for the PAT section but I'm not sure how other schools will view this. I've read mixed reviews about the importance of the PAT section but I really don't want to risk scoring lower on the other sections, so I'm really unsure as to what I should do. Will schools be able to overlook this or will this be a dealbreaker?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I just took my DAT and I'm conflicted as to whether or not I should retake it.

My scores:
PAT: 16
QR: 19
RC: 22
BIO: 24
GC: 21
OC: 20
TS: 21
AA: 21

I'm worried that my PAT score is too low, but I don't know if I should risk re-taking it and potentially scoring lower on the other sections as well. I know some (very few) schools have a low cutoff for the PAT section but I'm not sure how other schools will view this. I've read mixed reviews about the importance of the PAT section but I really don't want to risk scoring lower on the other sections, so I'm really unsure as to what I should do. Will schools be able to overlook this or will this be a dealbreaker?
Congratulations, your scores are great and I wouldn't consider a retake unless a school you are applying to requires a higher PAT score, most don't. If you retake, I agree you risk scoring lower in the other sections. I like the consistency of your scores and so will the dental schools.

Wishing you the best...Nancy,co/owner/DAT Destroyer,orgoman