Should I retake the DAT? Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawk5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody- yes, it another one of these threads. Sorry, but I need some advice!

I applied to dental school this year late, my app was sent in late November. I was rejected to 4/5 schools and I am on the waitlist (top 1/3) at Buffalo. I am re-applying, this time early, and I am going to apply to more schools. I am trying to decide whether or not to retake the DAT. Here are my scores:

PAT: 17 (41.9%)
QR: 19 (91.2%)
RC: 22 (84.4%)
Bio: 20 (88%)
GC: 21 (87%)
OC: 20 (79.9%)
Total science: 20 (85.2%)
Academic Average: 20 (87.6%)

My GPA is 3.86 and sGPA is a 3.80 from a large state school. I am a NYS resident.

Other than the 17 on the PAT, everything else is decent I feel. Should I re-take? If not, any suggestions of out of state schools that I should apply to?

Thanks everybody!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should retake. You have a much higher GPA than I do, my DATs are similar, but with 24PAT. You should apply earlier (June) and apply to more schools. In terms of OOS schools.. there are the larger expensive private schools (USC, BU, NYU, Tufts).

Thanks for the response tothepark.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just apply earlier this time around, DAT scores seem fine and your gpa is excellent

good luck!

The only thing I am worried about is the PAT

This is tricky. The PAT is low, but everything else is fine. Honestly, for the sake of money and time I would not re-take. I would take my chancs by applying early and to lots of schools.

Apply early. November is extremely late is definitely the primary reason for your rejections. Your stats are super-competitive! Good luck!

Thanks for the tips everybody. Anybody out there with a 17 PAT that got accepted?

PAT is your only problem but I also had a 17 in a section when I applied and still did fine so I wouldn't worry too much. Just apply early. Good luck!

There's no way it's your DAT or GPA.

17 isn't the worst score in the world and you crushed the rest of it.

Yeah I am thinking I probably won't retake, mainly for financial reasons. Although, don't you have to pay like $25/school to send it to them or something? I checked every single box the first time around, but this time I will have to pay per school I think, right?