Should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skkalkat92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I applied to dental school this past cycle, and didn't get any interviews or anything :( But this summer I'm starting a master's program to get a master's in medical sciences (it ends in may 2015)! I took the DAT last may and these were my scores:

PAT: 18
Quantitative Reasoning: 19
Reading: 18
Biology: 20
General Chem: 21
OChem: 21
TS: 21
AA: 20

I feel the biggest thing I lacked last round was my low science gpa. I'm hoping the master's program will really help boost my science gpa, but i am still a little worried whether I should retake the DAT again. My top dental school of choice is University of Pacific in San Francisco, and the Texas dental schools.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

TS and AA look good, but RC and PAT are just a shade low. What is your sGPA and how many schools did you apply to? When did you apply last cycle?

Its hard to get accepted into Texas schools if you are not a resident. It is also pretty competitive. UOP has very high DAT scores from its accepted students, higher than yours unfortunately. Still a chance you should take, though.

Like customx asked when did you apply and what was your sgpa? It may have played a factor on you not being accepted.

It depends on your GPA, but your DAT is more than fine if you have average GPA or slightly lower! We almost have the same DAT scores

Masters in Medical Sciences adds a lot to your application, I was in the same situation in my first application and I received nothing!! Once I started my masters and put that in my new application (with the same DAT and slightly higher GPA than the first application) and I received 6 interviews with 3 acceptances

Try to make changes on your personal statement, add more dental experience hours, and ADD THE COURSES YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE IN THE MASTERS TO YOUR APPLICATION IN THE PLANNED COURSES SECTION